System boiler or Combi for LPG?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. My daughter is getting a Calor LPG tank installed in her new (old) house as there is no gas in the village. She has been given different advice about the boiler she needs.
One has told her to get a system boiler and keep the tank in the airing cupboard as running a Combi on LPG with the switching on and off all the time will eat gas.
Another has told her to get a Combi boiler.
Opinions please. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
how many people, bedrooms, and bathrooms in the house?

Sorry. It is a 3 bed semi, living room with multifuel stove, smallish kitchen/diner, one bathroom. Solid walls, double glazing, well insulated loft.
Two adults and two children.

Sponsored Links
The amount of gas used between the options stated will be minimal, assuming the cylinder is well insulated. Which option would best meet her needs is a different question.

Oil fired heating will be significantly cheaper to run.

Looked at renewable heating technologies? Air source heat pumps are roughly on par with natural gas for running costs, and the government will buy you one at the moment (read up on the RHI).. The only punch in the chops is that you have to front the money and get it back over a number of years, and don't forget, there's always Bank of Dad to help with a 7 grand outlay on a heating device

The amount of gas used between the options stated will be minimal, assuming the cylinder is well insulated. Which option would best meet her needs is a different question.

Oil fired heating will be significantly cheaper to run.

Cost of the oil boiler and tank was a deciding factor I believe. Calor are currently offering an underground tank FOC provided we dig the hole which isn't a problem as her husband has access to a mini digger.

Looked at renewable heating technologies? Air source heat pumps are roughly on par with natural gas for running costs, and the government will buy you one at the moment (read up on the RHI).. The only punch in the chops is that you have to front the money and get it back over a number of years, and don't forget, there's always Bank of Dad to help with a 7 grand outlay on a heating device

Bank of Dad has already been hammered with the wedding so nothing left there at present especially as I am currently off work getting chemo.

Also they need to think about the future, do they plan on extending or adding another bathroom ect.

Also they need to think about the future, do they plan on extending or adding another bathroom ect.

I think any extensions etc would exceed the ceiling price for the area so selling in a few years or whenever would be the way to go.

Calor are currently offering an underground tank FOC provided we dig the hole which isn't a problem as her husband has access to a mini digger.

Free of charge for sure, until you start buying gas!

Well it's a done deal now. Tank is in as is the new boiler and getting connected today. SAM_1830.JPG SAM_1833.JPG

Out of interest, what boiler did you go for?
Will need to look next time I am through there but I think it is a Glow-worm. It didn't need a kit for lpg conversion. I think the registered gas man said you could adjust the jets or something.

He is indeed correct, it just needs the gas valve adjusting. Not at all familiar with the new range, and it's only been out for a few months anyway, so it's impossible to say whether it's good, bad, or indifferent. Hopefully it'll give you plenty of good service

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back