Switch from LPG to Oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old gas combi boiler (Vaillant) that runs on LPG. It has had a good innings but must be nearing the end of its life now at 27 years old.
There is no mains gas supply here and I am not a great fan of LPG. My wife worries about a tank full of gas in the garden and I worry about the price that Calor Gas charges me, which has trebled in the last 9 years. I know all forms of fuel have increased in price but it would be nice to be free of the tyranny of the LPG supplier's contract racket, with no option but to take whatever price increases they impose until the end of the contract period. I know that nowadays you can switch supplier when "out of contract" but I expect that once another supplier has signed you up with an attractive price, they will also raise it through the roof at the earliest opportunity.

So my question is: If I have to update the boiler anyway, is there any merit in considering a switch to oil?

I realise that this would involve the installation of a new tank as well as the boiler but I believe that oil is more energy efficient than LPG. I understand that oil fired, through-the-wall combi boilers are now available (it would need to be a combi in my case) but are they any good or would I just be asking for trouble?

Any expert advice gratefully received.

Regards
Mike

Sponsored Links
The switch would involve utilizing your concrete base for the new oil tank,if the base conforms to regs,ie fire protection etc.

I have fitted several external Grant combis, oil boilers IMO are better housed externally.

An estimate 3k, possibley more to carry out the work. If you decide to proceed then contact Oftec for an approved engineer.

If you can claw your 3k back in fuel savings,then maybe its worth considering.

Personally I think oil is a much better heat source than LPG.....although the price does vary considerably it always works out a bit cheaper.
I use 2200 litres per year (thats the max you can buy at the lower VAT rate). Last summer it reached a ridiculous 62p / litre, but came down eventually for 31p / litre which was an absolute steal.
More than likely you will need a bunded tank - which has to have a capacity of 110% of its fill total - so you have a huge great thing in the garden which doesn't hold anything like the quantity you'd want. If you have somewhere unobtrusive to site the thing then thats good.
The tankers have very long hoses, and can reach areas where LPG wouldn't be possible to store.
I've only experience with oil combi's of the Heatslave variety, but it can cope with 2 showers at the same time, much to my surprise, and the CH water is very hot. If you can get the boiler outside then you do escape the noise and slight smell that they produce.
Just a few thoughts!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Just replacing the gas boiler would be about £1500-£2000 whereas converting to oil with a new bunded tank would be perhaps £3000-£4000.

You need to weigh up very carefully if any savings in fuel costs will be worth the extra expense.

Dont forget to add the servicing costs as oil should really be serviced anually whereas many gas boilers will get by for several years without ( although its still always recommended ).

Another possibility is an air source heat pump which are gaining popularity. Its difficult to get proper user information on their running costs as those who have had them installed seem to be wealthy people who have no idea or interest in tracking the costs.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back