Boiler makes gurgling noise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone might be able to point me in the right direction......

Over the past few weeks our boiler has been making a type of gurgling noise, can be described similar to a kettle boiling (kind of).

I know next to nothing about this type of thing but I believe our system is just the conventional type, it's not a combi boiler (there is a tank in the loft).

The noise seems to occur when either the heating is on or the hot water is on.

Have done the basics, bleed all rads and I have also checked the feeder tank in the loft to make sure it has water as I have read that it can be caused by lack of water in the system.

Sometimes we can also hear a noise in the boiler which sounds like water running through the pipes.

Can anyone give any suggestions what might be causing this noise please/ things to check?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A sound like a kettle boiling ?? could be that your boiler is indeed

"ketteling" scaled up inside & unable dissapate the heat correctly to the water , possibly ??

Its a bit risky suggesting causes without knowing the boiler make and model!

Gurgling and water running through pipes sounds more like a description of a boiler with air in it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Should it help the make of our boiler is a Potterton Prima B.

Is there a way of finding out if the cold feed is blocked?

Thanks

When you bleed your upstairs rads do you get much water coming out?

Yes, one had a little bit of air but all the others water came out straight away.

I have also checked the setting on the pump, it was set to the highest so I set it to the middle setting (no. 2) but still get the noise?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back