Boiler moved by a guy that isn't Gas Safe registered.

Most of the discussions between RGIs conclude that it is permissible to move a boiler within a property regardless of if its condensing or not!

But what I am waiting for is your search of the Gas Safe register!

Tony

Sponsored Links
The guy is not Gas Safe Registered.

My wife had it out with him over the phone this afternoon. She called him asking for some paperwork, a certificate, something, recording the boiler move and proving it's all working correctly. She told a white lie and said it was our boiler service/repair contract, NPower, that were asking for it.

He immediately got on the defensive, coming out with things like, 'I tested it. It's safe.' 'You didn't pay me for a certificate. That'd be an extra £50.' 'I've been doing this job for decades and I am gas safe.'

My wife came out and asked him straight if he was GSR and he said he used to be Corgi registered. He got quite offensive when my wife pointed out Corgi was obsolete and that we need a GSR number. He then implied we knew he wasn't GSR and that we never asked him if he was. Reminding him that we did ask him, several times, and of his answers, just enraged him to the point that he hung up.

There's every chance the work could be safe, but it's not the point. He said he was GSR and he isn't.

Sponsored Links
... and he said he used to be Corgi registered.
So there's no way on earth he could plausibly not know that he's been doing illegal work. Get him reported ASAP. If his attitude to the law is "don't give a s**t", then how do you know his attitude to safety rules isn't the same.

Call Gassafe and give them all the details,this man is an illegal Installer and the kind of person they are looking for to investigate.

Gassafe have a special unit whose job is to do investigations on behalf of HSE in regards to Illegal installers ,this will cost you nothing

An inspector will come out and go over the installation with a fine tooth comb and pick out any faults

Good luck and all the best ,remember the law is on your side

yes report him straight away, you got off lightly, if you don't report him think how u'd feel if he killed someone with his illegal work, we are trying to get rid of these illegal installers & give a professional service that the public deserves, report report report

The guy is not Gas Safe Registered.

My wife had it out with him over the phone this afternoon. She called him asking for some paperwork, a certificate, something, recording the boiler move and proving it's all working correctly. She told a white lie and said it was our boiler service/repair contract, NPower, that were asking for it.

He immediately got on the defensive, coming out with things like, 'I tested it. It's safe.' 'You didn't pay me for a certificate. That'd be an extra £50.' 'I've been doing this job for decades and I am gas safe.'

I rather suspected that was the case!

It is really very wrong of him pretending that he is Gas Safe registered.

Even more so to suggest that if you pay him another £50 then he suddenly becomes registered to be able to issue a valid certificate!

As the others say report him as we don't want anyone else being taken in by his deceptions!

Tony

As a slight aside if someone is actually doing the job right (apart from some paperwork), then what incentive is there to not maintain your registration ? I assume there's a cost, but beyond that ?

Unless the cost is excessive and the guy doesn't do enough work to make it worthwhile, then it's hard to see why someone wouldn't be registered unless his intension was to cut corners to save costs.

The cost is probably about £300 per year.

But the qualifications have to be renewed every five years at a cost of perhaps £1000.

Its the cost that they try to save!

Tony

Ya get what ya pay for. Pay peanuts get monkeys!! As they say. Hope you have learnt a lesson here?

What lesson would that be.

Pay through the nose and use BG or avoid all independents and small businesses.

The guy was recommended, Ok the OP should have have insisted on seeing the gassafe card, and even they can be stolen or false.

Guys van gets turned over, regular in the heating trade, Gassafe card in the visor/van. em, very handy must be worth a few bob down the pub.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back