Boiler not firing for central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well it's getting cooler & I've discovered the central heating is not working. I thought it might be the pump (Grundfos 15-50) as it was old & v noisy, so I replaced that Saturday which turned out to be a saga with leaking valves & unable to find drain point for central heating :( Anyway pump is now replaced OK. Boiler fires for hot water (eg if thermostat turned up on hot water cylinder) but not for central heating (if room thermostat turned up). Upstairs rads get warm/hot when hot water is on but downstairs rads cold (downstairs is microbore).
Bolier is glowworm fuelsaver 55F
Central heating thermostat is in downstairs hallway
Central heating pump replaced with new.
Rads bled, header tank emptied, cleaned & new inhibitor added.
There is a silver box 'switch' thing (Honeywell) - valve control?? above the pump which has a slider switch manual/auto which I have put on both settings & doesn't seem to make any difference. I have a spare one of these from when there was a suspected fail a few years ago (turned out it was blown programme control) so could try replacing it if it's not too difficult.
Thanks for any advice/tips before I call a plumber out. Cheers. Dave

Sponsored Links
After reading some other posts regarding these motorised valve controls, I have checked mine & there is no resistance on the slider switch (auto/manual) so it moves freely between the two settings if I push the slider, so I think maybe it has broken?? I think I can try replacing the motor (Honeywell) without replacing the 3 port valve?? & if that doesn't fix it then replace the 3 port valve itself??
Grateful for any advice /guidance, thanks.

Dave

Thanks for reply.

No the valve doesn't appear to make any noise, neither does the motor.
If I turn the cylinder stat up the pump starts but nothing from the valve/motor appears to be going on.

Sponsored Links
Is it worth swapping out the Honeywell motorised unit first before changing the 3 way valve? Or you think valve has seized which has killed the motor?

Thanks

Hello kevplumb/doitall, yes it has a dimple on the top, I think I can just remover the cover to get at the fixing screws, remove & then bang a replacement on & see if that will turn the valve

The valve can stick for two reasons: electrical and mechanical.

Turn of the electricity to the complete heating system (setting the programmer to HW OFF and CH OFF is not enough. If there is resistance when you move the lever from AUTO to MAN, the problem was electrical and this should have cleared it.

If the lever is still floppy the problem is mechanical - the ball of the valve is sticking. Remove the actuator box and you will see the valve shaft. Try turning this with a pair of pliers (it only rotates about 20 degrees). If it will not move try a small amount of WD40. If very stiff, you will have to replace the valve.

PS the lever should be normally at the AUTO end. MAN is for filling and emptying the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back