Boiler not firing for heating ok for water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. As per title. Traditional set up tanks in the roof hot water cylinder 18kw boiler with filter. Has happened before but mostly comes on instantly. Yesterday for first time our heating didn't want to come on for ages. Only thing I think if is to change the head of the 3 way diverted valve thoughts please? Came on in the end and seems ok (for now) thanks Paul

Sponsored Links
Hello all. Tried this morning water comes on perfect when using programmer how ever heating does come on but takes a good 5 mins to fire up boiler thoughts? thanks

3 port valve issue most likely. Can you use a multimeter to check wiring at the wiring centre ?

Thanks terry i dont own a multimeter, however if i replace the full head do you think this will solve me problem ? Thanks for your help Paul

Sponsored Links
It would if the problem is definitely the valve. Checking voltages at the wiring centre would confirm this.

Thanks the programmer and room stat are pretty reliable, have seen faulty of both but they are pretty good, the zone valve actuator however are bad , as said if you could check the voltages would be best, but my money is on the actuator

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If the 3-port actuator is sticking, then I find you can sometimes get them to work by giving them a thump, but only until they stick again. If you look at the 3-port and out the make and model - often you can just buy the head/actuator part, which makes it a fairly easy swap - Just a couple of screws and maybe four electrical connections.

If considering swapping just the head, it's worth checking the valve spindle is free to turn and free from leaks.

One last further question please. I notice the new Drayton ones just push on mines a older 1998 lifestyle one can I fit this to the valve? Thanks Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back