Boiler not firing, no ch or hot water now

this is a potterton profile.
under the bottom of the boilers plastic case is a hole for your finger inside is a button you push up.

Sponsored Links
Ok found the trip switch, and pushed in, u were right, had tripped.. Turned the hot water on and boiler fired up! Was beautiful! Unfortunately it didn't last long, turned itself off after 2 mins, and still no hot water. I pressed the switch again and boiler came on again for 2 mins. Is that because there's a air lock in there?

the pump needs bleeding.
as i told you earlyer. remove the centre nut. turn system of first.

Sponsored Links
I'm not exactly sure where the pump is located. It doesn't seem to be next to the cylinder, but that's where the noise (humming seems to be). It wouldn't be in the boiler would it?

no not in boiler, should be on the pipe to your 3 port valve.
but could be under floor. but useally in the airing cupboard.
try follow the pipe back from the valve.

found pump, it's in the loft above the cylinder and next to the 2 storage tanks. Removed large screw in the middle, system off. No water really came out. Put back in. Pushed trip switch back in, turned on hot water, boiler fired, and I can hear pump humming, and some water sounds coming from around it. But boiler trips out again.

is the pipe to the pump hot ?
is the pipe from the pump hot ?
can you see any over bleed valves on the pipework up there ?

you say no water came out, but you want water to come out.
is the small tank full of water ?

There's 2 pipes to the pump, not sure which is which, but they are both very hot, and so is the pump itself.

if they are both hot that tells me the airlock is further along maybe where the pipe gos down to the 3 port valve.

follow the pipe up from the valve in to the loft and look on the highest points for any sort of bleed valve.

you can look at the pump it will have an inprinted arrow onit thats the flow direction.

pumps in the loft are a pain for getting them circulating.

as you know air won't push down hill

the pipe in the middle of the 3 port divertor that goes up the loft is hot, allthe way up, but the top of the cylnder pipe is not, this also goes up to the loft, but the pipe going from the divertor to the cylinder is hot, so maybe in the cylinder, or the pipe from the cylinder to the loft?

well the waters getting there then.
the hw pipe is it hot into cylinder and hot coming out the bottom ?

the pipe from the top of the cylinder is the hw to taps and vent so won't be hot.

the pipe from the valve to the side of the cylinder is flow and the return will be the pipe below that on the side. is that hot ?

No it's not. The valve is behind the cylnder, terriible place to put it, and frm the valve to the cylnder very hot. The pipe at the front of the cylinder, at the bottom, is very slghtly warm, and the top pipe from cylinder cold, as said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back