Boiler not firing, no ch or hot water now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please help me with some info on what the problem might be with our ch/hw system,at the momment we have no ch or hw. We have a standard boiler, not combi, its downstairs with hot water cylinder in the upstairs bathroom and 1 hot, 1 cold water storage in the loft.
A month or so ago only the radiators upstairs were coming on. I turned off all radiators on each unit and then turned on heating, and opened them 1 at a time, this seemed to resolve it. Then a few weeks later, when the ch was off, with only the hot water on a timer, the heating was coming on when the hot water was on. I gave the 3 port divertor valve a bang, thinking it was stuck, and the heating went off, hot water still working fine though. Then last week tried to turn the heating on, and no sound/movement of water, just a small electrical clicking sound. I was told it was the 3 port motorized valve, and should change the head or the whole valve. It's a siemans 322 with midpoint. I emptied the system of all water, and remove the old 3 port valve and replaced with new siemans 3 port motorized valve. The wiring was the same, so hooked it as before with same colours etc. Then filled the system with water, bled all the radiators, and turned on hot water, and boiler fired, had hot water seemed fine. Then tried the heating, it sounded ok, lot of water noises, and valve seemed to be fine, but boiler not firing. The next morning I noticed that the hot water is no longer hot, and boiler not firing for both. I have since emptied the system of water again, and refilled and bled all radiators, but boiler still not firing. The valve sounds like Its working fine, and when I choose either ch or hw there is a lot of water movement, though have noticed it sounds like there is water movemnet for few seconds then stops, then movement again then stops, in a rhythm. This is with the hot water on. Can anyone help with what may be the problem? Many thanks. The boiler Is proline, think it may be honeywell, can't see any presure gauge with the boiler. Usually can't see any plight light, though always fired up in the past. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Did you install the new valve the correct way round - Port A to heating, Port B to cylinder?

Did you set the valve to Manual (lever locked in "hook") when you refilled the system?

Thanks for fast response, yes valve right way round, same way as last one. I didn't set the valve on manual when first refilled, but on second refill I did.

Thanks for fast response, yes valve right way round, same way as last one. I didn't set the valve on manual when first refilled, but on second refill I did.

Sponsored Links
Think so, well seems to make a similar sound to before when was working, for hw and ch,.. ch one bit of a delay. It did work, when i first turned hw on after 1st refill..The water sound is bit different, especially with hw, sounds like coming down/up in little waterfalls

if your pump is running when you turned hw/heating on but boiler isn't firing then have you checked the boiler hasn't tripped out ?
if the pump was airlocked the boiler water won't circulate then boiler will trip overheat stat.

if your pump is making an odd sound i would say its airlocked.

Ok, I haven't checked the boiler itself, will check tonight when get home.. Thanks
If the pump or boiler/cylinder is air-locked how would I know for sure and how would I resolve that?

with the system off hold a towel under the pump and remove the centre screw this will release any air in the pump.
you will get a bit of water out of the hole but the towel will catch that.
replace the screw and try system.
check the boiler hasn't tripped first.

Also how would I check the trip switch, would that be on the boiler, as I had a look a quick look at the boiler before, but couldn't see any switch, except pump or gravity fed, but this is a panel that comes down at the bottom, maybe I can take the whole front case off, ..also shouldn't there be a pressure dial?

Says proline on the front, think I saw honeywell somewhere..it has a dial to increase the temp, otherwise nothing external but small window where u normaly can see the flame when firing,... the bottom part can come off and there's lots of wires, etc, didn't see any swutch apart from the pump/gravity one I mentioned, but I guess the front comes off, as there's hinges at the very top on the front.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back