boiler not firing up,

P

penfold321

Hi this is my first post, my boiler is a glow worm 50ff. it has stopped working called an engineer out and he thinks it is the gas valve.

when you turn the boiler on every thing works as usual the pump works the pilot lites up but thats it the main burners dont come on.

the engineer says the electric is going to the gas valve but the gas valve is not igniting he says to replace the gas valve i am looking at 180.00 pound. so my questions are:
1. can i get the gas valve any cheaper
2. has any one had similar problem and fixed it with out buying a new gas valve

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
If the total inclusive cost is £180 then that seems reasonable to me.

Its not usually going to save you anything by buying it yourself.

He is a fool if he has come and diagnosed the fault free of charge! I would always charge for a diagnosis then it is up to you to decide how you want to get it fixed.

He does not seem very confident and you dont seem to have any confidence in his abilities.

I am not sure that I would want to work for you!

If he replaces a gas valve which does not cure the fault then its simple you dont pay him ! If he undertakes to repair your boiler then he has to actually do the repair!

Tony

had another engineer out this morning he thinks it is the pressure switch so i will have this done first as it is a lot cheaper and hopefully this will work.

the reason for the post agile was to get some advise if any one had some similar problems, i dont always take the first quote from any one i always like to check that what i am being told is correct.

i am not sure i would want you to work for me!! if you was going to charge just to tell me what you think the problem is then charge to do the work sounds like a good way of getting paid twice to do one job to me.

what i like about this forum is that when you ask a question your likely to get good sound advise because peoples reputations are on the line as there will always be some one to correct any bull ****!

If your boiler doesnt have a permenant pilot(some fan flues do) and the pilot is coming on after the fan has started running and ignnition seqence stops then this doesnt suggest the pressure switch .
It points to gas valve is your boiler an Ultimate

Sponsored Links
, i dont always take the first quote from any one i always like to check that what i am being told is correct.

i am not sure i would want you to work for me!! if you was going to charge just to tell me what you think the problem is then charge to do the work sounds like a good way of getting paid twice to do one job to me.

Tony Agile is correct. I, and i beleive most RGI's, don't do free "quotes" on repair work, whereas we do do for installation work. Having said that, it takes a bit of time to be confident and charge properly for one's time, so he is probably inexperienced.
When I have a client on the phomne, I NEVER offer advice as to the remedy, when |I first started I spent far too much time talking about the job and the likely remedy, after which the client can then get a "bloke in the pub" to do the work.
Sometimes the diagnosis can take longer than the actual work. As soon as I get in the van, my costs have started. I could have a collision, I could accientally damage some of your property, I am certainly paying for fuel and general overheads. Why, then, should I give time freely to do the clever part of a lot of jobs, ie Diagnose?. So, I come to your residence, inspect, diagnose, carry out any mandatory tests required, and explain the likely eventual cost. If you decline, then you pay my attendasnce fee, But all of this wpould have beeen explained on the original phone call.

Oh, bt the way, go ahead and get the APS changed, but keep some cash in your pocket, as if everything you say is accurate, then it probably IS the gas valve. I hope your original fitter is reading this, as he may wish toi review his pricing strategy, and to consider wether you are worth working for. His price is perfectly reasonable. In fact, depending on the exact model, it is very cheap!

yes namsag it is an ultimate 50ff every thing works as normal it just does not fire up. The pilot fires up and then the main burners but now just the pilot fires up

Or a partially blocked pilot injector. Any RGI should be able to figure out the fault quite quickly on these simple boilers.

One thing its not, and thats the pressure switch - not if the pilot is lighting.

Does the the pilot completely go out when you turn the boiler off?

Mr. W.

Or a partially blocked pilot injector. Any RGI should be able to figure out the fault quite quickly on these simple boilers.

One thing its not, and thats the pressure switch - not if the pilot is lighting.

Does the the pilot completely go out when you turn the boiler off.

Mr. W.

yes the pilot goes out when the boiler is switched off

Does it.... good.

Be sure to let us know whats wrong when you decide which RGI to use.

Mr. W.

Partially blocked pilot woild still carry on sparking which he doesnt mention.

Its sounding very like the gas valve occasionally it can be the board not sending voltage to main solenoid.

Now the valves on these can be a nuisance to source as they altered them and they now come with a new pilot supply and valves are expensive

If its the valve with the 2 individual square blue solenoids i would just change the solenoid but the part number can be difficult to obtain but its a far cheaper way of fixing it time and money

FGS. The valve is apparently getting voltage. Let the tightwad get the orignal fitter back, and his wallet out. Namsag, I don't do many boiler repairs these days, but doesn't £180 seem a little cheap?

FGS. The valve is apparently getting voltage. Let the tightwad get the orignal fitter back, and his wallet out. Namsag, I don't do many boiler repairs these days, but doesn't £180 seem a little cheap?

i dont need pointless remarks from you mr expert i just want to make sure that my boiler is fixed and fixed first time, may be you get a quote and go with it with out getting any advise or comparing prices thats your business dont start calling me for doing the obvious!!

Expert yep i think the first guy has underestimated the price of the valve as they are more than that to buy.
One of those parts that has shot up to a stupid price which is why i would just do the solenoid

Expert yep i think the first guy has underestimated the price of the valve as they are more than that to buy.
One of those parts that has shot up to a stupid price which is why i would just do the solenoid

Yep, forgot that it would contine to spark. :oops:

I think abcot were doing them solenoids a while back. Not sure if they still are but way way way chaper than replacing the whole valve.

Mr. W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back