CH not always firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like to be armed with a bit of knowledge before calling in the professionals as I have been caught out by some unscrupulous tradesmen in the past.
My boilers (a Ideal Mexico Super 2 RS60 serviced 2 years ago) pilot light was lit but main burner wasn't firing up despite controls calling for heat. The gas valves solenoid coil was making a buzzing sound so I thought this may have failed. Decided to press the green button but this made the pilot light go out. Went through the re igniting the pilot light process power back on and main burner fired up immediately and the boiler ran for the rest of the night and came on again this morning. Later today noticed no hot water but this time pilot light was out, re ignited no issues boiler back on and has continued to work fine.
Initial thoughts were because the pilot light was on and the coil on the gas valve was buzzing that this was failing but would an issue with the gas valve also cause the pilot light to go out.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, but a reliable service could identify both faults and rectify. A buzzing solenoid is never good

Thanks will have it serviced and hopefully only the solenoid coil needs changing.

Make sure you mention the problems you are having, dont expect the servicing engineer to miraculously guess you have been having problems

Sponsored Links
Make sure you mention the problems you are having, dont expect the servicing engineer to miraculously guess you have been having problems
Car owners are the no different! Whenever I have a service to do, I always ask if there’s anything else they are having problems with or that needs looking at as many think that a service will put everything right.

Car owners are the no different! Whenever I have a service to do, I always ask if there’s anything else they are having problems with or that needs looking at as many think that a service will put everything right.
yep totally agree

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back