boiler not firing up,

it is now suggested the pcb needs replacing and it is not the pressure switch or the gas valve

Sponsored Links
Who has suggested that? Not ANOTHER RGI you have called out. :eek: Or are you a member of various forums?

Mr. W.

Penfold i hope you dont mean me by its now the pcb i

What i said is it is occasionally the board as 2 mins in front of boiler would confirm what the fault is but its definitely not APS as has been suggested.

Edit jumped in as you replied and what makes him think that what tests did he do

Sponsored Links
the second engineer he thought it was the pressure switch first time round

So, have you now got a shiney new pressure switch in your boiler which you didnt need and now it still doesnt work?

Mr. W.

Penfold i hope you dont mean me by its now the pcb i

What i said is it is occasionally the board as 2 mins in front of boiler would confirm what the fault is but its definitely not APS as has been suggested.

Edit jumped in as you replied and what makes him think that what tests did he do

no i dont mean you namsag. i have called out two engineers the second engineer first thought it was the pressure switch he is now saying he thinks it is the pcb as for what tests he has done i dont know.

All that neds to be done is when pilot is established check the main solenoid for 240 if its there then its not the board.

Lets put it this way he missed a basic thing by thinking it was the APS

the second engineer he thought it was the pressure switch first time round

So, have you now got a shiney new pressure switch in your boiler which you didnt need and now it still doesnt work?

Mr. W.

no i have not got a shiney new pressure switch he is confident it is the pcb and has gone to get one.

All that neds to be done is when pilot is established check the main solenoid for 240 if its there then its not the board.

Lets put it this way he missed a basic thing by thinking it was the APS

what is APS?

had another engineer out this morning he thinks it is the pressure switch so i will have this done first as it is a lot cheaper and hopefully this will work.

So, (since your new RGI arrived this morning) the above statement is incorrect, or in the 4 odd hours he has been at your property he has gone and bought a pressure switch, fitted it & now back to square one?

If not, what has he has been doing all this time, as at around 2pm you report that he now thinks its the PCB?

I'm confused, but then again it doesn't take a lot with me :oops:

Thats a good lot of head scratching time betweem his 1st diagnosis of a faulty pressure switch. Or has he been on other calls - I would have hoped so as your in for a mighty bill when this boiler finally gets repaired, if he has not.

APS Air Pressure Switch

Mr. W.

had another engineer out this morning he thinks it is the pressure switch so i will have this done first as it is a lot cheaper and hopefully this will work.

So, (since your new RGI arrived this morning) the above statement is incorrect, or in the 4 odd hours he has been at your property he has gone and bought a pressure switch, fitted it & now back to square one?

If not, what has he has been doing all this time, as at around 2pm you report that he now thinks its the PCB?

I'm confused, but then again it doesn't take a lot with me :oops:

Thats a good lot of head scratching time betweem his 1st diagnosis of a faulty pressure switch. Or has he been on other calls - I would have hoped so as your in for a mighty bill when this boiler finally gets repaired, if he has not.

APS Air Pressure Switch

When he arrived he first said he thought it was a pressure switch and had a spare one and went to get that which took two hours then came back tried it no difference so back to square one then he reckons it is pcb went to get that 145.00 + vat and i am still waiting for him to come back (i have not paid for any thing yet)

Mr. W.

I'm still somewhat vexed as to why he thought it was the pressure switch in the 1st place and what tests he has done to determine that the PCB is faulty. But anyway, at least he is now on track and your boiler will be repaired today.

Let us know how you got on if you have the time.

Regards,

Mr. W.

So, you are not happy withe first guy, as the 2nd guy gave you a different answer? Now it seems that the 2nd guy was wrong (as we all predicted), so why have you faith in his ID of a PCB fault? Am I right in assuming that your 1st post was correct, and that you have the correct voltage at the valve? If so, and it is accross the L&E, then it is clearly the valve. Be aware that merchants don't take back (particularly) electronic components.

lol.. the engineer never came back! Thats why it is important to have places like this forum because when you ring a gas engineer and a cow boy turns up you can pre-arm yourself with a bit of knowledge when the cow boy starts to babble.

lol.. the engineer never came back! Thats why it is important to have places like this forum because when you ring a gas engineer and a cow boy turns up you can pre-arm yourself with a bit of knowledge when the cow boy starts to babble.

Lol. What is the next step? Why not phone the 1st guy and ask how confident he is of his ID? I mentioned voltage across L&E, becuase if it was, say, a volt stick on the live, there could be a fault on the electrical return. If it was across L&E then it is almost certainly the valve

Were they both GasSafe registeted?

good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back