boiler not firing up,

So, you are not happy withe first guy, as the 2nd guy gave you a different answer? Now it seems that the 2nd guy was wrong (as we all predicted), so why have you faith in his ID of a PCB fault? Am I right in assuming that your 1st post was correct, and that you have the correct voltage at the valve? If so, and it is accross the L&E, then it is clearly the valve. Be aware that merchants don't take back (particularly) electronic components.

i have not paid for any thing i think the guy who came around didnt have a clue hence he never came back

Sponsored Links
So, you are not happy withe first guy, as the 2nd guy gave you a different answer? Now it seems that the 2nd guy was wrong (as we all predicted), so why have you faith in his ID of a PCBgone wrong "again" fault? Am I right in assuming that your 1st post was correct, and that you have the correct voltage at the valve? If so, and it is accross the L&E, then it is clearly the valve. Be aware that merchants don't take back (particularly) electronic components.

i have not paid for any thing i think the guy who came around didnt have a clue hence he never came back

My point was really that if he fitted the part, he wouldn't be able to return it. There would then come the inevitable argument over payment. we've all been to jobs where the client can't understand why it has gone wrong "again", as it has already had several bits changed. Generally I just smile, as there is no point in winding them up even more

Well lets see what the third guy has to say as this guy has been recommended by a trust worthy source (the sparky).

I will post tomorrow the out come, fingers crossed.

Thanks to all who gave advise, very much appreciated and your all a credit to this forum.

penfold321";p="1846909 said:
Well lets see what the third guy has to say as this guy has been recommended by a trust worthy source (the sparky).
penfold321";p="1846909 said:
Sorry to go on, but what is wrong withe 1st guy?. Unless I've mised something, he gave you perfectly good advice and an extremely good price?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear oh dear. Your 1st RGI would have had your boiler repaired by now - at a loss if its the gas valve (which it probably is).

Im slightly glad you've been left in this predicament. Thats what you get when you a5se around like you have done.

I would not have walked away as I would have that simple boiler repaired by now even if I had to source parts.

Be sure to post when its repaired and your bill from the 3rd RGI.

I don't why your thanking this forum.... most of us despise customers like you.

Good luck.

Mr. W.

Touchy touchy!

People get like that when their cold.
Personally, you can think of me what you like and if it makes you happy to think I'm just a geek who looks up stuff online then fine.

Im sorry for the sppeling eerors. :oops:

Good luck with the boiler.

Mr. W.

Engineer came 9.00am sharp, spent ten minutes to figure out the problem changed two solenoids 78.00 charged for parts 50.00 for his labour top man

Engineer came 9.00am sharp, spent ten minutes to figure out the problem changed two solenoids 78.00 charged for parts 50.00 for his labour top man

OK, you win. You saved £ 52, and you were only without heat or hot water for 2 days. Having said that, only a sucker will call out and repair a boiler for £50. I'm guessing it was cash, no VAT or paperwork, Did he do the mandatory tests and checks?.

Shame about the first guys wasted time, though, given that he was a sight better than the 2nd.

Id have rather paid the extra £52 and
1: Had the whole valve (very cheap price to supply & fit the whole thing).
2: Had an extra day of heat & hot water.

But well done, you wasted one guys time (who diagnosed the fault correctly) and saved a few quid.

Mr. W.

OK, you win. You saved £ 52, and you were only without heat or hot water for 2 days. Having said that, only a sucker will call out and repair a boiler for £50. I'm guessing it was cash, no VAT or paperwork, Did he do the mandatory tests and checks?.

Shame about the first guys wasted time, though, given that he was a sight better than the 2nd.

The first guy quoted 180.00 just for the part (Which was a gas valve).

Yes i Paid cash for the job He did tests but i dont know which tests you mean he got his tools out two prongs on a meter it made a noise etc.

although i wanted to save money the main reason for this post was to make sure i didn't get ripped off! End of the day if i was told i needed a new boiler i wouldn't know if he was telling the truth or not(the boiler is an old one as you know). this engineer is now in my mobile.

Oh and we had hot water all along any way.

50.00 for 45 minutes work sounds pretty good to me. He could of farted around for ages and charged me more but he was a honest guy in and out no messing about.

Well if you learnt one thing from this its don`t use guy number 2 again ;)

although i wanted to save money the main reason for this post was to make sure i didn't get ripped off! End of the day if i was told i needed a new boiler i wouldn't know if he was telling the truth or not(the boiler is an old one as you know). this engineer is now in my mobile.

Thats fair enough, I dont rip people off and I dont expect others to either.

However, the outcome as I see it is primarily that the first engineer has come out of this as being the one to be ripped off, and by the customer!

OK, to go and diagnose the fault free is stupid of him and he is much to blame for putting himself into that situation.

Tony

Thats fair enough, I dont rip people off and I dont expect others to either.

However, the outcome as I see it is primarily that the first engineer has come out of this as being the one to be ripped off, and by the customer!

OK, to go and diagnose the fault free is stupid of him and he is much to blame for putting himself into that situation.

Tony

Lets be clear about one thing!
the first engineer wanted to change the gas valve at a cost of 180.00 plus 60.00 fo labour which was not the problem with the boiler.

So Agile i dont understand why you need to harp on about the first engineer.

As for you ripping off people only you know that, what i know is i got the job done right first time.

You wouldn't get very far where i live because no one is going to pay you to just come out i mean come on they must be idiots where you live but hey if it pays your bills grab it while you can eh! Next year is going to be tough year.

How do you work out the first guy was going to rip you off the fault was the gas valve and at £180 quid he was charging you less than retail for the valve.

Not everyone knows that these valves have removable solenoids and the part number is not readily avialable so he is not at fault there

And 60 quid to change one of those valves is quite reasonacle as the pilot supply has to be changed with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back