Boiler not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just spent the afternoon moving a central heating radiator upstairs in my house and to do this, I drained down the heating system so that only the downstairs radiators had water in them.

I then went ahead and changed the pipework and then turned on the valve into the f&e tank to fill the system back up.

Having bled all of the radiators as much as I could, I then fired up the central heating system (it's run on a Myson Velaire oil-fuelled boiler).

The boiler ran for a while and there was plenty of glugging in the pipes, so I re-bled all of the radiators and then briefly the upstairs radiators got warm.

Following that, the boiler switched itself off and even if I turn it on constant heating, nothing happens now.

This happened once before and the plumber I called fitted one of these:

http://www.satronic.co.uk/download/TF 830.3,832.3 (EN).pdf

as it seems there was something wrong with the old control.

I've pressed the reset button on the front but nothing's happening.

Am I doing something stupid here?

Thanks in advance

Jever

Sponsored Links
If the lockout lamp is lit it will be a burner problem, if it isn't lit there is no need to press it.

First, locate the overheat/limit stat which is close to the control temp stat, there will be a small button that may have popped out, if so press it in and see if the burner starts up.

Usually after filling any left over air pocket settle down after the sytem has run for a few minutes so re bleed as required not forgetting the pump.

Hi Mr Therm,

Thanks for the reply.

I can't see any lockout lamp being lit, so I guess I'm in luck there.

I've been looking around for the overheat/limit stat and can't find any popped-out buttons.

Could it be inside the Honeywell box, hence I need to unscrew the lid to locate it? I've attached a picture of the boiler, just in case you can guide me in the right direction.

Regards

Jever

P1040429.JPG

It should be on the control panel on the upper section of the boiler that is cut off in your photo. They often look like the attached photo, the little cap unscrews and you can then press the button underneath.
154.jpg

P.S. When was that boiler last serviced?

Sponsored Links
Hi Freddo, Mr Therm,

I found the cutout button and reset it - it was on top of the panel at the top, once I had taken the casing off.

Anyway, the heating is now back on and you have spared me and my family the discomfort of a cold evening, thanks very much.

I'm rather embarassed to say that the boiler was last serviced two years ago. I guess the cobwebs were a bit of a giveaway!

You have propmted me into action, I'll call the service engineer and get it sorted.

Regards

Jever

Air was trapped in the system and the pump [circulator] wasn't able to cool the boiler as quickly as the burner warmed it up... hence it got too hot and the limit stat kicked in to protect the boiler. All sorted now glad you are sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back