Boiler not lighting - test results look odd.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry – this is a long post.

I replaced a very old and failing Sunvic timer (I think an MP2) a few months ago using a Drayton LP722 Programmer.
At the same time I replaced the capacitors in the share valve in the system – a Sunvic Unishare 3-Port MoMo motorised valve, as in this webpage : http://www.seered.co.uk/sunvic.htm (which is “Seered” from this forum’s page)

The system worked fine for a few months, but one morning there was no hot water or central heating.
No matter what the boiler won’t come on. The pilot light is there, and you can hear the switching happening, the pump runs, the boiler power light comes on, but no actual firing up of the boiler.

I’ve gone through the tests in step 17 of this post (The FAQ post stickied to the top of this forum):
//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/boiler-central-heating-faqs.175736/page-2
but have a couple of weird results. Before I give up and call someone in, can I just run through the results and double check in case anyone has any ideas / spots any stupid errors of mine?

The Drayton LP722 is wired as per Drayton’s instructions, for a Mid-Position Valve System, with the programmer set to “P”. This is the same as the wiring shown in this post ( //www.diynot.com/network/D_Hailsham/albums/16/31288 ) – with the sole exception of terminals 7 & 8 in the wiring centre being swapped (so logically it’s the same).
The Sunvic 1901 valve is supposed to be “industry standard wiring” so apart from the valve not returning by spring as per the tests, it should produce the same results(?)

I did some initial tests and suspected the cylinder stat – a very old Sunvic type that I cannot find anymore, so I replaced with a Drayton HTS3 – but I get the same results - and voltages.

Here are my results (in red) interleaved with the relevant tests from the FAQ (Sorry reproduced so much here, but I couldn't see how to shorten with out removing the context):

Mechanical: valve sticking or valve passing.

The valve is not sticking, it rotates fully as called for by the programmer.

CH Only Test (Port A open)
Turn Power OFF at main connection for the system (turning CH and HW OFF at programmer is not sufficient) This resets the valve to rest position
Disconnect white valve wire from terminal T5 and grey wire from terminal T7.
Connect white and grey wires to permanent Live (T1)
Turn Power ON
Valve should move over so port A is open and boiler light (check by feeling that only the pipe from port A gets hot)

If the valve does not move, Switch S1 is not moving over.
If the valve moves but the boiler does not light, switch S2 is not moving over. (check 240V on orange)

The valve moves, the pump runs, the boiler power light comes on
Checking the orange share wire I get 240V…

HW Only Test (Port B open)
Power OFF (valve returns to rest position)
Turn HW stat to lowest
Disconnect grey and white from permanent Live (T1) and temporarily make safe (e.g connect to spare terminals in the wiring centre)
Disconnect cylinder stat Common from T6 and connect to permanent live (T1)
Power ON
Turn cylinder stat to max.
Boiler should light. (check by feeling that only the pipe from port B gets hot)
If it does not light, the cylinder thermostat is suspect (check for 240V at Common and Call terminals of cylinder stat and at terminal 8 ).

The pump runs, the boiler power light comes on.
I get 240V at Common and Call and the terminal. BUT I also get 190V from the HW-OFF at the cylinder stat – that seems odd to me. This is why I replaced the Stat but I get the same from the new one.

CH and HW Test (Ports A and B open)
Power OFF
Turn cylinder stat to lowest
Disconnect cylinder stat wire from permanent live (T1) and reconnect to original terminal (T6)
Disconnect white wire from temporary location and connect to permanent Live (T1)
Power ON
Valve should move to mid position
Turn Cylinder stat to max
Boiler should light (check that pipes from ports A and B both get hot).
If boiler does not light cylinder stat is faulty

Pump runs, the boiler power light comes on, boiler doesn’t light. I have changed cylinder stat – but it still doesn’t work

Power OFF
Reconnect white and grey to original terminals (T5 and T7)
Turn HW OFF and CH ON
Set CH stat high
Turn Power ON
Valve should move to Port A open, boiler light and Port A get hot.

Pump runs, the boiler power light comes on, boiler doesn’t light.

Turn CH OFF, so boiler goes out.
Boiler should go out but valve stay in CH only position
If boiler does not go out, check voltage on orange wire.
If orange has 240v, the actuator is faulty
If orange has 50-150v, there is a problem with the boiler

0V on Orange wire

If these tests are passed, the problem is elsewhere.

Testing other components

Cylinder thermostat: disconnect wires from CALL (1) and SAT (2) terminals when checking, this prevents false readings due to back feed.

There should be 240V on Call (1) when stat is turned up and 240v on Sat (2) when stat is turned down

Stat up – call 150V, satisfied 70V
Stat down – call 50V, satisfied 160V

Room thermostat: disconnect wire from Switched Live when checking to prevent false readings due to back feed.
There should be 240v on Sw L (3) when stat is turned up and 0V when it is turned down.

240V turned up
24V (24, not 240) turned down…

Note: you may find that terminals 1 (live) and 3 (Sw Live) of the thermostat have been swapped over. This is not too important for modern digital thermostats but should be corrected if you have the older mechanical thermostat.

Given the voltages this appears to be wired correctly.

Programmer: Check voltages at CH ON, HW ON and HW OFF terminals when programmer set to appropriate positions. Also check the voltages when the timer is used to switch on/off.

Checking directly at the programmer terminals, and at the various settings (CH+HW off, CH only, HW only, CH+HW On), I get:

With cylinder thermostat up:
Terminal: CH+HW Off / CH-On / HW-On / CH+HW On
CH-ON: 0V / 240V / 0V / 240V
HW-ON: 0V / 240V / 240V / 240V
HW-OFF: 240V / 240V / 0V / 0V

With cylinder thermostat down:
Terminal: CH+HW Off / CH-On / HW-On / CH+HW On
CH-ON: 0V / 240V / 0V / 240V
HW-ON: 240V / 240V / 240V / 240V
HW-OFF: 240V / 240V / 240V / 240V

This does not look right to me – the HW-OFF appears to be giving 240V in situations when it should not be, and calls for CH or HW?
End of tests

So, given that it worked ok for 3 months, the tests give results that to me are odd, any ideas welcome!

Sponsored Links
As far as I can see and there is a lot ( too much ) to look at, you boiler is given a signal to work and starts the pump but does not ignite!

If thats the case then why do you think that its anything apart from a faulty boiler?

We don't know the boiler model either! Although we know all the details of your controls and that your garden gate is green!

Tony

Sorry for being comprehensive - I've seen too many forum posts where the originator is shot down for not saying enough... As in - I haven't told you the Boiler!

It's a Stelrad Ideal Elan.

Yes, I too thought it might be the boiler - but thought I'd post and ask rather than assuming. I may after all have just done something stupid in wiring or testing.

I have no garden gate :cry:

Not a very complicated boiler then.

As long as its receiving a call for heat and not firing up then you should be able to agree that's where the fault lies!

What about your garden gate?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help. I was just asking as the test voltages for the cylinder stat and programmer terminals seemed odd to me.

I was kind of hoping it wasn't the boiler.

And....You were the one that brought up the garden gate!

That looks good Andy!

But I was hoping that he would confirm that his is green!

We need to sort these out first.

Cylinder thermostat:
disconnect wires from CALL (1) and SAT (2) terminals when checking, this prevents false readings due to back feed.

Did you disconnect the wires from terminals 1 and 2 of the cylinder stat first?

Room thermostat:
Which room stat do you have?

when your cylinder thermostat is satisfied (or down as you call it ) OR your programmer is set to no HW then you will get 240 v at the HW off terminal if wired correctly this signal is very important in a Y plan system

Unfortunately these instructions are not applicable to MoMo valves.

A MoMo valve may be wired exactly the same as a spring return valve and provide the same results, but it works in a completely different way. I will post a new FAQ when (if?) I've sussed it out.

it still isnt your valve or wiring that is at fault ,if it worked for months why would you reckon the valve was at fault ? you have a boiler problem call an RGI to sort it out for you

he pilot light is there, and you can hear the switching happening, the pump runs, the boiler power light comes on, but no actual firing up of the boiler.

As Tony was trying to sat in his inimitable style, if the boiler on lamp is on, and the pump is running, the problem is with the boiler. I too could not be bothered to read the whole thread, but the above line pretty much says it all!

You need an RGI for the boiler - it really is a fairly simple issue but the rules here prevent gas advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back