Boiler not reacting to reduce water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A year ago we had a new Vaillant ecoTEC plus 637 system boiler installed.

This morning I was awoken at around 6:00am (the time the thermostat increases the temperature to start to warm the house up) by a loud gurgling sound coming from the boiler in the garage under our bedroom.

I imagined water leaking all over the garage floor! What I found was the analogue pressure gauge was reading zero, but the boiler was still trying to pump water (or whatever it does). I allowed more water into the system, which increased the pressure and the gurgling noise disappeared - everything was back to normal. I noticed that there was some water on the floor underneath the boiler but I wasn't sure where it was coming from. It may have been from the filter next to the boiler, rather than the boiler itself.

It was my understanding that the boiler was supposed to report a low water pressure event and that it certainly shouldn't have continued to attempt to work, producing a noise that sounded like it was doing some internal damage ;)

Does this suggest there may be a problem with the boiler?

Sponsored Links
Probably sludge or dirt in the pressure sensor which is preventing it from detecting the actual pressure!! ;)

I've got my doubts about the quality of the install, it would be a good investment to get it serviced and checked over completely by a good RGI.

Sponsored Links
If you press the - minus button the boiler should read pressure from the sensor. If this was to be 1-1.5 for example when the analogue gauge reads zero, chances are the pressure switch is blocked up, probably down to sludge particles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back