boiler on party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the distance of 300mm from a boundary to a flue a regulation. As a lot of boilers are hung on party walls with side exit flues so the flue is less than 300mm to the boundary.

Sponsored Links
i.e if a boilers hung on a party wall on a terrace house the flue won't be 300mm from the boundary of next door

Sponsored Links
Reason the regulation exists is because the neighbour could have building work in the future such as an extension up to the boundry. Its not a case of the flue is safe at the moment. It is a case of could anything happen in the future to make it unsafe

So that's why a lot of installers don't stick to it then. Although am sure have read in ideals spec that it can be reduced to 25mm as long as the flue is clear from other obstructions/openings

So that's why a lot of installers don't stick to it then.

I and any installer worth his salt would stick to it. I sometimes have to change position of the boiler or re route the flue on a new install to comply with this reg. Sometimes at considerable expense. But like I say. If an installer quotes to do the job without doing this. Then it will be a cheaper price. And customers sometimes like cheap over correct. A small percentage of installers bring the industry down.

With regards to what you say about ideal. I think you may be talking about reducing the distance to internal/external corners. Some manufacturers allow this. But this doesn't apply to a boundry. I don't know of a manufacturer that let's you reduce the distance to the boundry. I think the distance from a boundry is pretty much industry standard. But I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

terminal Positions Min. Spacing*

1. Directly below, above or alongside an opening

window, air vent or other ventilation opening. 300mm (12”)

2. Below guttering, drain pipes or soil pipes. 25mm ( 1”)*

BS5440-1 2008 75mm (3”)

3. Below eaves. 25mm (1”)*

BS5440-1 2008 200mm (8”)

4. Below balconies or a car port roof. 25mm (1”)*

BS5440-1 2008 200mm (8”)

5. From vertical drain pipes or soil pipes. 25mm (1”)*

BS5440-1 2008 150mm (6”)

6. From an internal or external corner or to a 25mm (1”)*

boundary along side the terminal. BS5440-1 2008 300mm (12”)

7. Above adjacent ground, roof or balcony level. 300mm (12”)

8. From a surface or a boundary facing the terminal. 600mm (24”)

9. From a terminal facing a terminal. 1,200mm (48”)

10. From an opening in a car port

(e.g. door or window) into dwelling. 1,200mm (48”)

11. Vertically from a terminal on the same wall. 1,500mm (60”)

12. Horizontally from a terminal on the wall. 300mm (12”)

Vertical Terminals

Above the roof pitch with roof slope of all angles. 300mm (12”)

Above flat roof. 300mm (12”)

14. From a single wall face. 300mm (12”)

From corner walls. 300mm (12”)

15. Below velux window 2000mm (79”)

16. Above or side of velux window 600mm (24”)

Table

* Only one reduction down to 25mm is allowable per installation

otherwise BS5440-1 2008 dimensions must be followed

On the new baxi eco blue the dimension can be reduced with the use of a deflector elbow so the 300mm is not set in stone

On the new baxi eco blue the dimension can be reduced with the use of a deflector elbow so the 300mm is not set in stone

No boundary or surface facing the terminal just a boundary running in line with the flue a terrace house but no wall there so no external corner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back