Flues and boundary lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've done some internet searching but am still a little confused.

What are the current rules concerning a boiler flue and the boundary line?

At the moment my boiler flue discharges horizontally out of the side of my property towards the side of my neighbour's house. The distance between me and the boundary is about 4m. However I have plans passed for a side extension that will take me to within 1m of this boundary.

What are my options in terms of the boiler flue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No you will have to find another route you cant discharge within 2.5M of your neighbours property is it a newish boiler ? what make and model

the most important thing to remember that no matter what regulation is in place one that has remained is that the products of combustion must not discharge in such a way they cause a nuisance. Soaking your neighbours wall with acidic water will probably be deemed a nuisance ! You will need to consider ways to redirect the plume, or relocate the boiler.

You might be able to have a plume management kit fitted to your flue and it be directed away from your neighbours, depends on boiler model.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. At the moment I have a WB 30CDi Greenstar condensing system boiler.

Relocating the boiler would be near on impossible ie it would always have to be along my unattached side (house is a semi) and therefore always on that side.

I've googled the plume management kits you guys mentioned but many just seem to raise the height at which the exhaust is discharged. I'm not sure how this helps as it is still directed at my neighbour.

Thanks

Sometimes its possible to discharge upwards!

Some quite recent Worcester boilers dont have a plume kit.

Tony

Thanks Tony but still a little confused. Even if I discharge upwards it would still be within 2.5m of my neighbour's property so how has that helped?

Unless you mean to run the discharge pipe to a level above the roof so the plume flows over the houses??

Thanks

Thanks Tony but still a little confused. Even if I discharge upwards it would still be within 2.5m of my neighbour's property so how has that helped?
It's the direction in which the flue discharges which is the important thing. As long as the flue is pointing upwards it is not discharging towards the neighbours' property. What the wind does to the fumes once they have left the flue is not your problem.

It's the direction in which the flue discharges which is the important thing. As long as the flue is pointing upwards it is not discharging towards the neighbours' property. What the wind does to the fumes once they have left the flue is not your problem.

That's interesting DH. So doesn't that make the whole 2.5m rule a nonsense then? So as long as it points upwards all is well?

I presume all boilers can have their flues pointed upwards?

Many thanks for your help

Sometimes its possible to discharge upwards!

Some quite recent Worcester boilers dont have a plume kit.

Tony

What recent Worcester boilers dont have a plume kit then ...... if you want to fit one

Please tell ........ I assume by recent you mean within 2 years??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back