Boiler & pipework gurgling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Ive recently moved into a new house and have had the whole water system drained down (as ive had to do a few repairs, change radiators...etc).

Anyway ive refilled the system and bled where possible...so all radiators, all bleed valves (both in the cupboard next to the hot water cylinder and in the loft on the boiler feed and return pipes). Also from the drain valves in the airing cupboard and directly above the boiler.

If i put the central heating on and leave the hot water off everything is fine, nice and quiet as you would expect. If i however switch the hot water on all stays ok for about 10 minutes, then i start to hear water rushing down the pipes which are plumbed into my boiler. I can also hear like a gushing noise which i have confirmed to be the pipes in my loft going from the boiler to my hot water tank. If i open the airing cupboard door and listen i can heat water rushing through the pipework. The system doesnt seem water solid.

I also get the odd 'boiling' sound so to speak coming from my hot water tank.

The system is quite new. It was noisy(ish) when we first moved in but for some reason last night was bad. The sounds coming from the whole system was a lot of gurgling, water gushing etc etc.

Any ideas?

Also what settibgs should my thermostats be set to? I read you should set the thermostst on the boiler to nearly max and the hot water tank to 60 degC. This is what i have done. My pump is on setting 1 and my bypass valve is showing (i think) 2/3 open.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you still have air in the system, check up in loft to see if any water coming out of the vent pipes when heating or hot waters on.{possible blocked feed}

hey!

thanks for the replies.

bled the pump, all is ok.

did some more bleeding of things this morning and then performed a little test. The central heating for the radiators is working beautifully now. Its practically silent.

Now just put the hot water on and its a little noisey, but just a case of waiting and seeing!

Il check my vent pipes now. Il also perform another bleed off the pipes in the loft!

Sponsored Links
you never mentioned if your system is sealed(filling loop) or open vent.

It's open vent.

I've continued to bleed the system all day. Am still finding air coming out, but seems to be calming down. Inhibitor is in, vents all ok, valves all ok.

Can anyone help me with what the thermostats should be set to? Like I said earlier my hot water cylinder is set to 60 deg and boiler set close to max. Is this right? How do I know my pump setting is correct?

Boiler max thermostat setting probably not necessary unless we have really cold weather. Cylinder setting ok at 60 if your happy with output of hot water at tap. Otherwise turn up or down to meet your needs.

As a guide pump setting is
No 1 - 1 floor level
No 2 - 2 floors
No 3 - 3 floors

:)

thanks for your reply.

i had the system running beautifully the other day. It was working a treat. Ive kept bleeding where neccessary and its calmed things down until this morning when the hot water came back on again...it started gurgling.

I re-bled and again more air came out and has calmed down.

My question is, could air be getting into the system somehow?

Also, instead of having to keep going into my loft to bleed the boiler feed and return and the airing cupboard, if i cut out my manual bleeds and replaced them with these would this help at all?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15mm-Comp...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item45fe788947

Also how do these fail? I mean if they failed would i have water spurting out all over the place?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Definitely sounds a very airy system you have got. Auto Air Vents are better than manual ones, but if you do have a problem with it pumping over into the F&E then they won't solve your problem, just disguise it. ;)

Is it making a noise after 20/30 mins when just hot water is on . it could be the boiler stat thats gone and boiling over and sucking air back in.

When rads are on do they feel exessively hot to the touch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back