Boiler plumbing, this okay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gas combi installed in kitchen above worktop. To give you some background, at the other end of the kitchen is a cupboard that housed hot water cylinders, now removed. One engineer, when quoting, said he would take a water feed from that cupboard and run pipes along back wall and up to boiler. The engineer I went with didn't advise how he would connect the boiler. He appears to have taken the water feed from the pipe that originally just served the washing machine. Is this okay? In addition he's used quite a lot of flexible piping, I'm assuming this is okay although maybe not gold/best practice? Tbh, as long as it's all fit for purpose I'm happy enough.

Sponsored Links
Was the guy you went with cheaper by any chance?

It's not wrong it's just not right.

Why is the boiler so low

Sponsored Links
god i hate plastic , don't know about ideal but usually can't have plastic with 1 meters to boiler

edit ; is that third picture below boiler ?

I'm an electrician and can plumb better than that. It will be a right pain if you ever want to replace the kitchen units. :(

Yeah I didn't think it was great, but can you advise:

1. Will it do the job i.e. it's not unsafe/completely wrong ... is it???

2. Obviously I'll be installing a washing machine to the cold outlet. Will this setup work ok when the machine is connected and drawing water?

Yeah it'll be a pain as and when I want to change worktops etc however I'll live with that. The boiler is low due to height of soffits etc outside, the options were flue out through wall (lower boiler) or flue through roof (higher boiler.)

As I say I kind of thought the plumbing wasn't ideal even as a layman, however jokes etc aside just looking for clarification that the install isn't completely wrong and will work beyond a few months?!?

as i said i don't know about ideal how they consider plastic within one meter concerning warrantee, others will know better , i don't hardly use plastic so unsure .

As has already been said, it will function. But why are you so happy to have such an abortion?

As for how safe or legal it is we can't tell from those pictures. We can't follow the gas run to assess if there are any nasties there, nor can we see the flue terminal and condensate drain.

I would be calling in Gas Safe the moment you get your certificate through the post for a free inspection.

I've found myself online that the Ideal warranty is void unless copper is used for first metre flow and return! The installer is gas safe registered. I'll give him opportunity to rectify and if he doesn't, do I approach Gas Safe themselves? Thanks for advice and pointers.

Gas Safe are not interested in workmanship. Purely safety.

@shambolic will give you more information about the Ideal stance on that kind of installation but I'd be asking for the lot to be done again properly.

well i guess your question has been answered ; boiler plumbing, this ok ? Mmmmmmm call them back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back