Boiler pressure issue… maybe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hopefully someone can help me. I have a Gloworm Betacom 24 boiler that’s displaying 0 bar pressure. If I press the reset button it will show 0.3 bar and fire off but almost immediately cut out. I’ve tried refilling the pressure but it doesn’t affect it. Also if I have the heating on while it’s briefly fired up it displays a temperature read out that drops quickly until it turns off again.
My landlord isn’t great with fixing stuff and if it’s a simple fix I might be able to do that would be great. Or if anyone has any ideas if it’s a really expensive job then I can decide whether to foot the bill myself or push for my landlord to fix it.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of the underneath of the boiler, or the filling loop? As for the pressure rising to 0.3 bar after resetting, this is the pressure the pump creates.

Photos. I’ve tried the valve on the hose, which has worked on previous boilers I’ve had. You can hear the water but does nothing for pressure and the overflow outside starts dripping.

Attachments

• 9266762C-1C9E-4EE5-A1CF-C101006FDEF9.jpeg
    9266762C-1C9E-4EE5-A1CF-C101006FDEF9.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 73
  • 000FC6B0-0159-41FB-9B8C-1912762A53A0.jpeg
    000FC6B0-0159-41FB-9B8C-1912762A53A0.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 56
Photos. I’ve tried the valve on the hose, which has worked on previous boilers I’ve had. You can hear the water but does nothing for pressure
and the overflow outside starts dripping.

The small tube leading to the gauge is almost certainly blocked. You are building pressure, but is not being registered. You are then going over 3 bar, so the PRV opens.

EDIT: just realised that you have an electronic read out, so your sensor has probably failed or leads became detached. The rest of my comment applies

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1. You landlord has a legal obligation to supply you with heating and hot water. This means he must fix a problem within a reasonable amount of time, it doesn't mean instant fix.
2. You should notify your landlord as a matter of urgency that:
2a. The boiler isn't working.
2b. The pressure relief pipe is dripping.
3. If you don't notify the landlord, any further damage caused might be attributed to you.
4. As you surmise, not something you can fix.

Thank you :) So not something I can fix then?

No, you need a registered gas engineer. get onto your landlord, he cannot ignore you on this.

Does he supply you with an annual Gas Safety Report? (LLGSR / CP12)

Thank you all. I’ve logged the issue now. We do get a gas safety cert and it is in date. Just thought if it was a simple issue like repressuring or something I could pay for myself without risking it costing an arm and a leg I’d sort it myself. But now I know best just to leave it with him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back