Boiler Pressure too high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help i Have a logic combi Boiler the pressure was low so with a video call from the land lord was fixed and fine. Then had a lovely warm bath and the shower was used this evening and the presurre is high I tried bleeding rads no joy

Sponsored Links
Make sure you fully turned off the filling loop ,(when you topped up the pressure earlier ). You can then reduce the pressure / water in the system using radiator bleed screw's ,but it will take quite a bit of time ,as a fair bit of water needs to come out. What is the actual pressure ??

The pressure is at 4 which is scary do I still take pressure / water out a rad until it drops

Sponsored Links
As much as it takes ( a couple of cups full probably ). I assume your central heating is not on in this weather ,(you don't want hot water coming out the rads )
Your safety valve should have lifted / opened at 3 bar so system shouldn't get to 4 bar. Are you certain the filling loop is closed I suspect it is not. Can you post pics of filling loop ?

39E7F9A4-15CC-4AA8-9637-68C180113C35.jpeg
No heating on
When I spoke to my land lord last night when he got me to re pressure the boiler there was no Knobs and he got me to turn 3 different points with A spanner

post another pic of the pipes at the right hand side of the boiler that is where the filling link is

They look as if they are off, did you manage to reduce the pressure ?

yes it will take a fair bit of water from the rad to lower the pressure, the pressure shouldnt have got as high as 4 Bar, there is a safety valve set to release at 3 Bar, You should ask your landlord to send an engineer to check it

Are we talking taking bowls of water out the rad and should the unit be on or off when I do it?

When it's off and cold, you should reduce the pressure to 1.5bar, when boiler is operating this pressure will rise to differing levels, depending on hot water or heating usage.

it should not go above 2.5(ish) if it ever reaches above 3, there is a safety release valve which should lift and pass water to outside.

If you're nearby when it does this, you would hear it (a sort of chuddering sound).

The fact that your pressure has got to 4 bar and then not immediately dropped below 1 means that it needs to be looked at by an engineer to determine why the safety release didn't operate when the pressure went above 3 bar.

Are we talking taking bowls of water out the rad and should the unit be on or off when I do it?
yes probably a few bowls of water, there may be a drain point outside your house or possibly on a downstairs radiator valve near a doorway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back