Shower pressure too high!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bath tap/shower mixer was woefully low on pressure when we had a tank fed system. Now it's the opposite since we had a combi boiler installed.

The pressure out of the shower handset is so strong it hurts and if you hold the shower head, it's fighting against you like a fireman's hose.

Is there any kind of handset that will cope better with the high pressure? Or is there something else I can do to limit the pressure a bit? apart from anything else the steam being generated is immense!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If I read this correctly, you are wanting to reduce the force that the water comes out of the shower head. This is slightly different from reducing the water pressure. You should be able to achieve this by limiting the flow to the shower. On my shower I have an isolator valve under the bath, if you have one, you can use it to adjust the flow rate of water to the shower, thus reducing the force that the water comes out of the shower head.
Another solution would be to change the shower head to one with larger holes which will allow more water out thus reducing the force that it comes out.

It is best to find out what the mains pressure is. If too high then install a Pressure Reducing valve on the mains as it enters the house.

Could you send some of your mains pressure over to my house, it's hopeless here...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back