Boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a normal boiler (not combi), which fires up ok, but then after 20-30 seconds there's a few "clunking" noises and it goes off. pilot light still on but the boiler not firing/staying "on" - if that makes sense?

This happened back in october, but problem dissapeared until this morning.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
ok, to be more specific it's an "Ideal Icos m3080" boiler. Anything else you might need to know? ch system is open vented. I've turned boiler off/on a few times all with the same results, i.e. it fires up, sounds ok for about 20-30 secs then the clunking noises start and it goes off.
Clearly I need a professional in to sort it, but seeing as it's freezing cold I was wondering/hoping there's something I could do.
As for the pump...I guess once the boiler is on it should start, well, pumping and if it aint then I guess it's knackared. Just taken a look - now I'm not sure what I'm looking for here - but I could not hear the pump doing anything. Also the pipe just above the pump seems to have a slight leak and there's blue/white mark/limescale which is also present on the pump at what I'd desribe as the base.

Sounds very much as though the pump has failed. You should hear it running. The clunking noise is probably localised boiling within the boiler before the operating stat shuts it down.

Mike

Sounds very much as though the pump has failed. You should hear it running. The clunking noise is probably localised boiling within the boiler before the operating stat shuts it down.

Mike

Cheers Mike and the others too. Calling my plumber tomorrow to see if he can hopefully change it soon. Unless any of you chaps is available in the Beckenham area?
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back