Boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have a Combi Boiler, it's a Glow Worm 30ci.
When it was first installed a year ago, it lost pressure about 3 times within a month, and i had to open the blue valve underneath to re-pressurise it. Then the problem seemed to stop ( i had unknowingly left the valve open after the last incident...oops).
This weekend i have re-routed some pipes within my bathroom, successfully, with no leaks. Phew.
However, when i turned the water back on, the overflow pipe from the boiler to outside was releasing water like a tap. I called my plumber who told me to make sure the blue valve underneath was fully closed. This is did (discovering it was wide open), and the water seemed to stop. However, the boiler then lost pressure twice during the evening, the red error light came on, and i had to open the valve and close it again. When i did this, the pressure would stabilise at about 1.2bar. I left the valve partially open to make sure the boiler didnt lose pressure again while out at work, however, a family member has told me that the pipe has started to let water out again.
Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
casey25 said:
Any ideas???

Yes, TURN OFF THE TAP!!!! or disconnect the filling loop. If you have a filling loop it should have been disconnected anyway, it is not to be left connected. As water has ru throught the relief valve for so long, it will probably be damaged, so you need a new one.

Sponsored Links
Ok, i have turned the valve to the off position and the water has stopped coming out of the pipe. so thats good.
However, i have a feeling it's going to lose pressure again, but i haven't got a leak anywhere.....well, certainly not one thats visible. I havent got any wet patches appearing etc. 1 of the old t pieces in my bathroom has a drip from it every 10 seconds or so, would that be the leak, or am i looking for something bigger?

Secondly, a replacement valve for the one thats probably damaged - is that expensive? Approx. price?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back