need help with a 24 CDi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler stopped producing hot water this week. I clueless about boilers and I think my tampering has made it worse. Any help is gratefully recieved!

The pressure guage is reading 0, but I think it's faulty anyway (the guage that is). The first thing i tried was to turn the pressure valve anti clockwise. something 'gave' and water started coming out of the pipe. I'm assuming this means it is open. However, I can't seem to close it. In less than one full turn, the valve tightens up, then 'releases' again. But even on it's tightest water still comes out.

I tried opening the filling valve (the one with the big plastic key) and I heard water schooshing around in there but it all seems to go straight out the pipe attached to the pressure valve.

I know nothing about boilers but i think the pressure valve isn't closing. A plumber's coming round on Thursday anyway but I've no hot water until then. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why on earth did u open the prv in the first place then? There is a very easy temporary fix on these for no hotwater but it dosnt seem like you are competant enough to have a go.

Thanks. Anyone want to offer anything constructive?

Turn the pressure valve until it releases (its now closed) and try to fill it again.

Sponsored Links
That's done it. Thanks! The pressure meter is broken, so very roughly how long should I keep the water pouring in? I know it's impossible to say without being here. But very roughly, are we talking 30 secs? 5 mins? what?

Turn the boiler on and run a hot tap, the boiler will fire up when there is enough water in it.

That's done it. Thanks! The pressure meter is broken, so very roughly how long should I keep the water pouring in? I know it's impossible to say without being here. But very roughly, are we talking 30 secs? 5 mins? what?
only way is to either replace the gauge or measure the system pressure at the expansion vessels shrader valve using a tyre pressure gauge

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back