Boiler quote!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
If you work 5 days week, 46 weeks year and need to gross £60K to net yourself say £30K plus pension, then if you take 2 days to replace a boiler, the labour should be £521.74. The sums ain't difficult.

£800............its all about the law of supply and demand.

muckylugs.......you have my sympathy if you like to do the work in your own home yourself, I do.

You might be able to fit your own boiler if your local building control officer is sympathetic and prepaired to inspect it.
:?:
You only need to be corgi if you are SELLING you gas fitting services.

brumylad said:
You only need to be corgi if you are SELLING you gas fitting services.

Thats a grey area that will finally disappear very soon.

muckylugs said:
I am sure you do jobs around your own home like we all do, that you are not trained or qualified to do, but do them because you are confident that you can do the job and to high standard.I am confident to do the water side of the boiler which i have done before 19 yrs ago with no problems since but i know as it stands i would find it extremely difficult to find a plumber to sign it off as he puts his name to the whole of the system,which is fair enough, sounds like a monopoly to me!

Diyers change there own car brakes, which is more dangerous a leaking central heating system or over a ton of metal with no brakes?

I am inclined to agree with muckylugs here.

A few years ago I wanted to fit a living flame gas fire. I was advised all I needed to get the CORGI registered chap to do was the gas side of it.

So, all the stuff like making good the builders fire opening, sorting out the flue etc etc I was OK to do myself, and did so. So then when I tried to get the CORGI fitter whose advice I originally sought to come and connect the pipe, because it was such a small job he was rather non-commital.

So after waiting 2 weeks I ended up connecting the gas myself. To be honest I should add I've had quite a reasonable amount of experience soldering copper pipes anyway, and I made sure I followed the manufactures installation recommendations to the letter, including fitting a gas cock etc etc.

So I know in theory I was a bit naughty, but it seemed my back was pretty much against the wall really, since I couldn't get a CORGI bloke to come out anyway.

I'd have thought the flue side of things was just as safety critical as the gas connection, so like you say it seems there is over compensation for some risks, and none for others.

Sponsored Links
Can I make it clear that I couldn't care less about people doing their own work in their own home, this country has far too many mamby pamby laws allready, I do object to cowboys doing work in other peoples houses and doing it cheap because they are working illegally and dont have the expense us legit guys have to pay, so let me make it clear to all diyers, if you kill or maim you and your family I couldn't give a toss, but if you injure me or mine in ther process lets hope you die in the explosion because I will break your fri*gin neck.

post locked to prevent hi jacking (again)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back