Compare & Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need new central heating and dont have loads of cash to spend. Have a really old (perhaps 30 yr old system) with really thin radiators and copper pipes.

Been quoted £1800 quid for a band b boiler, condense pump, soakaway and TRV's in upstairs bedrooms. I have a few questions that I could do with answering and hope someone can help!!!

Realistically, should my pipes and radiators be ok? At least for a while.
I reckon its a loop system, is it worth getting TRV's in all rooms?
My hall is really cold (needs a new door - another expense) and front room really warm - which out of the two is the best place to fit the room thermostat?

I reckon £1800 is a good quote, anyone got an opinion on that?

Sponsored Links
Thats seems a very cheap quote!

If you mean its a single pipe system then make sure the installer knows that as well to avoid any later difficulties!

What model of boiler have you been quoted for?

Tony

Regs state that you MUST have TRVs on all rads except the one in the room where the room stat is.

Make sure this very cheap quote includes full and proper flushing of the existing system. Flushing may find leaks in existing pipework or radiators, but has to be done to validate the full manufatcurers warranty, otherwise if you had a problem and they tested the system water and found dirt they could say no warranty.

Is it a combi or system boiler or open vented?

If it is correctly fitted and commissioned you will not notice much less performance in your pocket than an equivalent Band A boiler.

Thats seems a very cheap quote!

If you mean its a single pipe system then make sure the installer knows that as well to avoid any later difficulties!

What model of boiler have you been quoted for?

Tony

Dont know yet but will obviously find out if I persue this quote. Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Regs state that you MUST have TRVs on all rads except the one in the room where the room stat is.

Make sure this very cheap quote includes full and proper flushing of the existing system. Flushing may find leaks in existing pipework or radiators, but has to be done to validate the full manufatcurers warranty, otherwise if you had a problem and they tested the system water and found dirt they could say no warranty.

Is it a combi or system boiler or open vented?

If it is correctly fitted and commissioned you will not notice much less performance in your pocket than an equivalent Band A boiler.
te

Thats a great bit of info which I will ask if we persue this qte. Its a mine field had 3 quotes now - started at 5.5 k, next £2.5k now this. I know its cheap and probably not enough so will take on board what you said and ask for a requote. I would normally dismiss such a cheap quote out of hand straight away as "too cheap" but this quy was the only one who didnt insist on moving the boiler upstairs, just install a soakaway (which is obviously cheaper and makes me think the others were trying to do un-necessary work) so I reckon its worth giving him a second chance.

Whats more important in your opinion, the make of boiler or the lenght and type of warranty offered.

Whats more important in your opinion, the make of boiler or the lenght and type of warranty offered.[/quote]

Both important factors when parting with hard earned money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back