Boiler repair gone wrong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had a problem with my boiler which was diagnosed as a faulty fan. Plumber replaced fan and for about 3 hours all was well.

Then boiler wouldnt fire up. Plumber came back the next day and spent quite some time trying to diagnose the problem. Using the boiler fault finder sheet in the installation instructions narrows it down to the wiring loom.

apparently wiring loom had become brittle and is now broken. The wiring loom is unobtainable, no spare part available. So i am now left with having to buy a new boiler, not cheap.

My questions are these, is it reasonable for me to expect that he should have checked if the wire was in a bad state of repair before trying to fix the fan?

If the boiler ran for a while after the fan was replaced does this mean that the wires are not at fault?

would you expect the plumber to be liable for some of the cost of the replacement boiler?

Would you get a second opinion on the state of repair of the boiler?

thanks

Duffy

Sponsored Links
maybe the guy could have given the boiler a once over before trying to fix it, but if anything at all, he may feel obliged to repay some of what he charged to fit the new fan, but I doubt it, how many garages replace several parts on a car before narrowing a fault down, and then won't refund you for the parts that didn't need replacing? to be honest, you could probably get a loom made up quite cheaply, not exactly rocket science, might be worth getting a second opinion though first

I'm only asking some questions, no where does it state that i expect him to do anything.

fyi the guy is refunding the cost of the fan, i just wanted other peoples opinion on it.

not quite sure why you would need to know anything more about my boiler, it's not my boiler i'm asking about.

Sponsored Links
I'm only asking some questions, no where does it state that i expect him to do anything.

fyi the guy is refunding the cost of the fan, i just wanted other peoples opinion on it.

not quite sure why you would need to know anything more about my boiler, it's not my boiler i'm asking about.
really

smoggy said:
Hi,

Had a problem with my boiler which was diagnosed as a faulty fan. Plumber replaced fan and for about 3 hours all was well.

ahh two boilers both unknown both with the same fault

hoy em in the river :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes:

"Had a problem with my boiler which was diagnosed as a faulty fan".

Erm, not quite sure I understand, it does read as tho this is your boiler, would be handy to know what the boiler so someone MAY come up with a remedy to your problem as an alternative to paying for a replacement,
1, what happens when the boiler packs up? does an internal fuse blow?
2, is it a combi or system boiler?
3, if it's a combi, do you get any response at all when you try to run the hot water or central heating?[/u][/b]

you sound like you want him to pay towards a new boiler are you joking? goodness me you need to give your head a little wobble!

you called him out blr not working he replaced fan now blr working but then goes off sounds like you had two faults he should of charged you call out for his second visit

Post the make and model of the boiler...it's no big deal to repair a few broken wires.

boiler is a myson apollo 40 si. the fan was knackered, it took some freeing up and worked but made a racket. plumber replaced the fan, boiler worked and was much quieter.

next morning wouldnt come on again.

i have no beef with the guy, so some people are trying to make more of this that it is.

my questions are should he have considered that the wires might have been brittle? im no plumber so dont know this.

If the boiler worked after the new fan was fitted surely that means the wires were fine at that point, so how come the next day they are too brittle to work?

forget the question about liability for some cost of the boiler.

do you really think it would be possible to get another wiring loom made?

the plumber says the boiler is not reciving the signal for heat.

Why would he be liable for some of the cost of a replacement boiler ??

Interested ???

there is a place on tofts farm brenda rd hartlepool they do transformers (can't remember the name) hang a left after agfa or whatever its called now

they will make you one to your spec

you will need the old one as a pattern ;)

i may be in the states but hartlepool is where my roots are bonny lad :LOL:

cheers kev, i'll give them a call tomorrow and arrange to get the old loom to them.

not bad for a monkey hanger ;)

if he's tracked it down to not picking up the call for heat signal, someone should be able to sort that out without replacing the whole loom, these things are not rocket science

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back