Boiler replacement - should we or shouldn't we?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Glo-worm Hide away 90B boiler, not sure how old it is but it was in situ when we bought the house 10 years ago. It is running well and has not caused any problems since we have been here. Obviously it is now on borrowed time and we are wondering if we should bite the bullet and get it replaced, or leave well alone until it fails.

The system runs 13 radiators and utilises a water storage Cylinder (similar vintage I guess with a red insulating jacket).

So, should we replace it with more efficient system? even though it would take many years to recoup the cost in improved fuel savings. If we do replace it should we go for a combi or retain the cylinder? bearing in mind that we have a power shower fitted.
Or should we go to an interim situation with a new (better insulated) Hot Water Cylinder and keep the existing boiler for the time being?

The boiler is floor mounted in the kitchen behind a kitchen unit door, so I am guessing that replacement would require the new unit to be wall mounted.

I would appreciate any opinions on which way to proceed ( and some idea of costs involved would be helpful).

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If it is working well and you are happy leave well alone until it gives problems.

Yes you will save a bit of gas changing it, but not enough to outway the costs of changing.

The only time I recommend changing a good working boiler early is is you were to fit a new kitchen. Then it would be best to design the new boiler in.

Sponsored Links
save your money and get your loft and cavity walls insulated. lag what pipes you can in the airing cupb, a new cyl jacket, low energy light bulbs and draught proofing too while your at it.

If you don't already have trv's on the rads that may be worth doing, all this will save you alot of cash for relatively small outlay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back