Old Hot water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a (very) old central heating system installed with a conventional floor mounted boiler and hot water storage tank in an airing cupboard.

It is undoubtedly very inefficient but it works well and has caused no problems (apart form a replacement pump) in the 15 years we have been at the house.

I have no intention of replacing the boiler until I have to, but would like to make the current set up as efficient as I can.

The current Hot water storage is a copper cylinder with an insulating jacket around it. I wondered what the advantages would be of replacing the cylinder with a more modern one with moulded insulation? Would any savings result from doing this once I factor in the cost of supplying and fitting the new cylinder?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd wait until it starts leaking.....just keep it well lagged with its jacket and any blankets etc that keep the heat in.
I wouldn't disturb it in any way, either!
John :)

A more modern cylinder will heat up much faster. However it will cost hundreds of pounds. You can have one or two electric immersion heaters fitted to heat it when your boiler is out of action, or if you get solar panels. You can also get a bigger one if you want.

Is your old one pumped or gravity feed from boiler? Pumped is also faster and more efficient. If pumped there will (should) be a thermostat strapped to the side of the cylinder.

You can add a second red jacket to reduce heat loss. Also put Climaflex or similar on all hot pipes.

Yes, if you disturb the old cylinder or its pipes, it may well start to leak.

Keep looking under it for damp or woodlice.

I'd wait until it starts leaking.....just keep it well lagged with its jacket and any blankets etc that keep the heat in.
I wouldn't disturb it in any way, either!
John :)

Thanks, That is just the sort of advice I was hoping for - do nothing :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
A more modern cylinder will heat up much faster. However it will cost hundreds of pounds. You can have one or two electric immersion heaters fitted to heat it when your boiler is out of action, or if you get solar panels. You can also get a bigger one if you want.

Is your old one pumped or gravity feed from boiler? Pumped is also faster and more efficient. If pumped there will (should) be a thermostat strapped to the side of the cylinder.

You can add a second red jacket to reduce heat loss. Also put Climaflex or similar on all hot pipes.

Yes, if you disturb the old cylinder or its pipes, it may well start to leak.

Keep looking under it for damp or woodlice.

It is a pumped system, we have one pump for the HW and another for the CH (and a cylinder thermostat)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back