Hot water cylinder

The metal one is empty and seems to have been for some time.

All pipe work now runs in and out of the black plastic tank and I have looked no smaller tank only the black tack!!

Sponsored Links
Hmmm. Picture of your hot water cylinder and pipework would be handy, it may have an integrated primary header tank.

Not sure if these are any use but pipes are above the cylinder

Attachments

• DSC_1004.JPG
    DSC_1004.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_1005.JPG
    DSC_1005.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_1002.JPG
    DSC_1002.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_1003.JPG
    DSC_1003.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_1001.JPG
    DSC_1001.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 106
Bit hard to tell what's going on there. But there do appear to be enough tubes going upwards for 2 header tanks as well as some oddities (like the copper bulge which looks too small to be a low loss header and the reducing T).
If you've only been in the place for 4 months (ie this is your first winter) you might want to get someone in to have a look, you may have inherited some massive bodge from previous owners. Local solid fuel installer would prob be best

Sponsored Links
Bit hard to tell what's going on there. But there do appear to be enough tubes going upwards for 2 header tanks as well as some oddities (like the copper bulge which looks too small to be a low loss header and the reducing T).
Indeed, the copper bulge is a strange one , maybe a device to allow one feed from the CWSC ? I have seen similar, but a different shape. The 28 dropping down then reducing ,at that height makes me wonder if it's a looped gravity circuit and that's the flow connection to a annulus heat exchanger - not a coil :idea: Before you contact an outsider, you could empty the cupboard and remove the lagging jacket, then " the dog'll see the rabbit";) In any event I would not renew the cylinder, it's probably a lot thicker metal than a new one

If you've only been in the place for 4 months (ie this is your first winter) you might want to get someone in to have a look, you may have inherited some massive bodge from previous owners. Local solid fuel installer would prob be best

Where is the copper bulge u say??

Also, do u think there would be a thermostat on the cylinder?

Where is the copper bulge u say??

Also, do u think there would be a thermostat on the cylinder?
Right hand side of pic 3

Possibly no thermostat on the cylinder (except the one in the immersion heater but ignore that for now). Quite likely your system is gravity hot water and pumped heating, in those circs a cylinder stat would be a nuisance

Any use

Attachments

• DSC_1012.JPG
    DSC_1012.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_1010.JPG
    DSC_1010.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_1011.JPG
    DSC_1011.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_1009.JPG
    DSC_1009.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_1007.JPG
    DSC_1007.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_1008.JPG
    DSC_1008.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_1006.JPG
    DSC_1006.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 93
Right hand side of pic 3

Possibly no thermostat on the cylinder (except the one in the immersion heater but ignore that for now). Quite likely your system is gravity hot water and pumped heating, in those circs a cylinder stat would be a nuisance

Thats the thermostat with control at bottom

Attachments

• _20190112_113751.JPG
    _20190112_113751.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 57
OK. The copper bulge (pic 3 of the latest batch) is the immersion heater.

I'm wondering whether that reducing T (pic 6 of new batch) is an injector T fitted by a madman.

And I don't like the way the cylinder output is near horizontal- made that mistake myself once, you can get an airlock in the cylinder & into serious pressure problems, especially with the woodburner in circuit.
Is that a bleed valve at the bottom of pic 5 or just a lockshield
Do either of those pipes in pic 5 get hot when the fire/oil boiler is lit

Not sure what it is at bottom of pic 5 it could be.

Yes the T connection the larger end gets hot when fire/oil is lit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back