Hot water cylinder

I was wrong ....... Not an air separator but, going by that cable, it is an immersion heater

0x58.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is that lockshield open or closed (you'll need a spanner on it of course), try closing it first and count how many turns it takes to close it, then how many turns it takes to open it fully. Don't hit the spanner with a hammer, don't use massive force on it.

In your first set of pictures there are 5 pipes visible going into the cylinder cupboard ceiling. Can you see all 5 pipes in the loft- if so, tell us where they go & what they connect to (eg bottom of big plastic tank, top of tank, big loop above tank)

If you can sketch a schematic of which pipes connect to what for the rest of the system that would help...

Tank in the loft

Attachments

• DSC_1013.JPG
    DSC_1013.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_1014.JPG
    DSC_1014.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_1020.JPG
    DSC_1020.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_1018.JPG
    DSC_1018.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_1016.JPG
    DSC_1016.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_1019.JPG
    DSC_1019.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 75
Sponsored Links
In relation to the lockshield if it was closed sure radiators would not heat would that be correct?

Just reluctant to touch it in case

In relation to the lockshield if it was closed sure radiators would not heat would that be correct?

Just reluctant to touch it in case
No, that lockshield is (or appears to be) in the primary return from the cylinder and shouldn't affect the radiators.
Does look crusty though so be gentle with it.
Pic 3 in your new set- are both those gate valves open?
Lastly, i would strongly advise you to get a solid fuel engineer in to look at the system, your pictures are showing some dubious features.
With solid fuel, the header tanks must be metal. Plastic tanks fail at 90 deg c, an uncontrolled heat source (like your back boiler) can heat the water to that temperature under fault conditions (eg power cut while fire fully loaded and burning)

Plastic fittings are not fit for use on solid fuel systems for similar reasons. The one near the oil boiler looks a bit close to the boiler anyway

If that one tank is supplying hot tap water and primary makeup there will be no inhibitor in the primary system, thus risking sludge buildup

My suspicion is that the previous owners have bodged the system (metal tanks are much more expensive than plastic ones) and left you holding a potentially expensive and dangerous baby. Please get it checked asap.

Indeed, the copper bulge is a strange one , maybe a device to allow one feed from the CWSC ? I have seen similar, but a different shape. The 28 dropping down then reducing ,at that height makes me wonder if it's a looped gravity circuit and that's the flow connection to a annulus heat exchanger - not a coil
I may have been talking like an annulus:unsure: I see now it's a coil:idea: I'll get me jacket

Hopefully yes. A competent person on site will also be able to assess the general state of the installation, it may be stuff that looks iffy on the photos is in fact ok because of other features that we can't see

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back