HRM Wallstar 12/14 - should we replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post - so helloooo to everyone! Have found the forum really useful so far, and no doubt it will be invaluable over the next few months! :)

OK, here goes. We're in the process of buying a repossessed property, due to exchange next week.

The house is fitted with an HRM Wallstar 12/14 boiler, which HRM tell me was manufactured between the years of 1991 and 2001. It's a standard boiler, not condensing. HRM also say it has a sedbuk efficiency of 82%.

Now, the property has been unoccupied for about a year, and from what the neighbours say, even when it was occupied, the boiler wasn't in use. I suspect this is more down to them being unable to afford to buy oil (tank empty) and instead burning wood on the open fire. So, chances are boiler hasn't been struck up for well over a year. The system has been drained by the repossession agent. There is record of a boiler service in 2007. The boiler is somewhere between 8 and 18 years old.

We don't really know a great deal about these Wallstar boilers, and appreciate that every case is different. However, on the whole are they generally reliable? Are parts still available? What would be the most expensive part to replace, and roughly what would this cost? What would be an average lifespan for one of these boilers? We're wondering whether we should cut our losses and have a new boiler fitted from the outset, or whether to get this one back up and running and see how it goes. If we had it replaced, would it be a good move to replace with a newer condensing Wallstar (are they expensive?) or would we be better off looking at a Worcester Bosch combi for example? If we went for a sedbuk A boiler (90%+ efficiency?) - are we really going to see a cost saving? If the radiators and pipework are as old as the boiler (I can see a couple of rads have been replaced) - should we be looking at getting these flushed / replaced or will it not really matter? How much roughly should I expect to pay to get the existing heating system refilled, tested and serviced, assuming there are no faults / parts to replace?

Any opinions would be greatfully received - apologies for all the questions...just want to be armed with the right info when we look at quotes for getting the new boiler up and running / replacing it with new.

Many thanks in advance!

Leccyblue.

Sponsored Links
About the easiest boiler to live with. Reliable, parts available. A replacement water jacket is quite cheap, and that's the "boiler". The burner is standard parts, so again no problem.

If you think you will save money by changing, you can ask HRM. You will get honest answers, and no sales talk.

My local Plumb Center have a few of these at ridiculously low clearance prices at present.

Thanks oilman, that's very reassuring. Perhaps our best bet is to get the current boiler up and running, serviced etc and see how it goes. Is there anything we should be aware of with the system having been drained for so long? (10 months ish). Oil tank has been empty, will it need cleaning out or anything? Should we think about getting the system power flushed or anything like that?

Thanks
Leccy

Sponsored Links
Yo might find it had been drained because of a leak somewhere. Don't bother about a power flush, but use a system cleaner.

If the tank is steel, get it wire brushed, jack it up to get at everything. paint underside with epoxy paint, look up oil tank supports on google.

Remove oil filters, check the tank for water, flush at least 5 litres through oil pipe, replace filters, add a paper element filter if not fitted.

Thanks oilman!

It's common practice for the repossession company to drain the central heating system on houses that have been repossessed, as well as changing locks, switching off services etc etc.

Oil tank is plastic which is a bonus, will make sure the filters are changed and pipe flushed.

Many thanks

Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back