HRM Wallstar oil fired boiler 12/14 Short Cycling or Normal?

My pump is also a Wilo but only 4 years old so in addition to the standard 3 speed settings additionally has proportional pressure (PP) and constant pressure (PP) modes which saves a bit of power on TRV throttling down.

No, have no intention of reducing the nozzle size as I get a reasonably fast system heat up in the morning, the rads reach full temperature within 25/30 minutes.

Thank you for your latest response. Are you at all concerned about the potential negative effects of boiler cycling such as extra fuel consumption and/or life-limiting damage to the boiler itself? I have not come across any hard evidence for this (maybe I haven't looked hard enough?) but I wonder if this is one of those myths which if repeated often enough, becomes fact?

Sponsored Links
No concerns re extra fuel consumption, see table, below, all these smart roomstats and control systems like Evohome fire the boiler for as little as 60 secs/cycle which has a fairly significant effect on efficiency, up to 4%, once a boiler is firing for > 3 mins/cycle, then cycling effect < 1.5%.

Wear & Tear: My Firebird 90S, SE boiler, with a Riello G5X burner, running on Kerosene installed in 2005 has NEVER tripped on combustion failure in 17 years and has not had a single item failure in this time, I replace the burner nozzle every 2/3 years and remove the baffles ~ every 4 years for a clean, I remove the burner every year and wipe down the electrodes and remove a cupfull of scale from the combustion chamber and thats it.

I have thermal solar water heating which supplies all my HW needs for ~ 5/6 months so I fire up the boiler every 2 weeks for 10 minutes or so during this period.

1670656943906.png

Last edited:
No concerns re extra fuel consumption, see table, below, all these smart roomstats and control systems like Evohome fire the boiler for as little as 60 secs/cycle which has a fairly significant effect on efficiency, up to 4%, once a boiler is firing for > 3 mins/cycle, then cycling effect < 1.5%.

Wear & Tear: My Firebird 90S, SE boiler, with a Riello G5X burner, running on Kerosene installed in 2005 has NEVER tripped on combustion failure in 17 years and has not had a single item failure in this time, I replace the burner nozzle every 2/3 years and remove the baffles ~ every 4 years for a clean, I remove the burner every year and wipe down the electrodes and remove a cupfull of scale from the combustion chamber and thats it.

I have thermal solar water heating which supplies all my HW needs for ~ 5/6 months so I fire up the boiler every 2 weeks for 10 minutes or so during this period.

View attachment 288442
Thanks for the info. My oil boiler is only just over 1 year old so hopefully many trouble free years ahead then! Where did you find that table of efficiency data? We also have solar thermal panels which gives us all the DHW we need from May to September usually. Sometimes need to run the boiler for one or two days if very cloudy or chilly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back