Wallstar 12/14 Heating Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Got the keys to our new house today, it has an HRM 12/14 Wallstar boiler fitted (not condensing or combi).

I can get it to fire up and heat the hot water, but it won't fire up for the heating. It has a danfoss "SET5" programmer fitted and a honeywell wall stat. I've tried the programmer on the all day setting and also on auto mode by making sure the program is set to on for the current time. No joy. I've removed the front from the honeywell wall stat, it's never live regardless of the temperature setting or the programmer setting.

Is there anything obvious I should be looking at before I call a plumber in? Plumbing/heating is new to me so I'm picking things up as I go....but I'm good at following instructions!

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help :D

Andy.

Sponsored Links
Got the keys to our new house today, Etc, etc,

Many people on here give their advice freely, it`s not a substitute for having a professional and you won`t be taken through every job in your home step by step. I think you have been given great advice but taking it further may require you actually taking out that creaking old wallet and paying for a change. ;)

Hi

Thanks for your reply.....absolutely no problem with paying for a professional, just wondered if there was anything obvious I was missing. I've not seen or used a Wallstar before and all other boilers I have used have been Combi.

Andy.

is the fused spur switch on?

circuit on fuse board?

check the above first that you have power to the boiler controls.

check to see if the pump is working .( probably in cylinder cupboard)

if pump working but not boiler then go outside and remove the cover off the boiler. you will find a button illuminated red on the control box of the boiler. press this and the boiler should fire up.

hope the above helps

Sponsored Links
Hi snb,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, fused spur is on and the circuit it's connected to on fuseboard is ok too. There is power to the control box and to the boiler. Boiler and pump fire up no probs when you switch the hot water on. But neither fire up when you switch the heating on. I suspect it is something to do with the diverter valve? Is there any way I can test this? It's a honeywell Y plan valve. There is a slider on the side, what is this for and what should it be set to?

Many thanks in advance guys.

If you are on a Honeywell Y plan and the boiler fires ok for HW, easiest way to test is to select heating to come on, turn up the room stat and if you have 240v on the white wire on the mid position valve, the valve is faulty and you can change the valve or just the syncron motor inside. If you have no power to the roomstat though, I suspect a faulty programmer or wiring fault.

Also, another thing to note: check you are in fact a Honeywell Y plan. The valve is a V4073. (mid-position)
Honeywell also made a similar looking valve, the V4044, a diverter valve that works on a hot water priority. (ie, doesn't do ch and hw together). These don't switch over to heating until the cylinder thermostat is satisfied. To test, turn down the cylinder stat and the valve will go across to do heating. These valves are pretty rare.

What brings you to that conclusion? The controls for the heating run programmer - room stat- valve - boiler. Without a logical fault finding process it is not possible to state categorically what is at fault. You may be advising the OP to change a mid position valve for a loose connection. When are you due to be featured on Rogue Traders?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back