Help! my heating died

I explained in my last post what voltages to expect at the valve and when, I did assume that Ballistix was talking about the valve head, thanks for clarifying that D Hailsham, btw do have shares in B&Q?! :D

Didn't intend to tread on anyone's toes :oops:; your 5:14 post must have arrived while I was writing mine.

B&Q is shorter to write than the others :!: :!:

Sponsored Links
I explained in my last post what voltages to expect at the valve and when, I did assume that Ballistix was talking about the valve head, thanks for clarifying that D Hailsham, btw do have shares in B&Q?! :D

Didn't intend to tread on anyone's toes :oops:; your 5:14 post must have arrived while I was writing mine.

B&Q is shorter to write than the others :!: :!:

It's ok mate I didn't feel 'trodden' on. I was saying Ta for clarifying what wires we were talking about :D

How about PTS?!! :LOL:

Thx for all the help so far folks :D

Breesey, i checked the voltage at the box not the valve, as i pysically cant get into the valve because of access problems.
I appologise if i've done it wrong.

Also i cant see if the motor rotates as thermostat is downstairs and the rest is upstairs and my arms arn't that long :LOL:

I'm on my own atm unfortunately, which makes things more complicated for my very rusty multimeter skills :LOL:

I have put the multimeter across the thermostat, which seems to be working fine.

My trusty fan heater has blown it's mothballs off tonight ;)

Just a small update.

My father managed to come over and assist by turning room stat up and down (programmer on/heating only) while i observed, the motor on the valve never budged.

I will drain down (yep just my luck) and remove/repair/replace valve tomorrow.

I'll let you know how i get/got on.

Regards
Andy

Sponsored Links
Hello

I had to drain down as the old valve was not the type that allows you to stay dry :LOL:

I removed complete valve assembly for inspection, motor not working (buzzing) looked to be a slight leak into motor and also on gasket face, nylon? ball looked very worn as did the microswitch levers.

I replaced the whole valve, flushed system through untill it ran clear, then added a litre of sentinal X100 conditioner and bled up.

Success :D I now have my heating back, and a quieter system to boot. All running good since yesterday.

Big thanks to all who helped especially Breesey, thank you very very much ;)

Regards
Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back