Programmer has died

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Randall 102E7 central heating / water programmer that has died.

the "dead programmer" was only ever used to switch between hot water and heating we used to keep it on constantly, the truth is we could never be bothered to programme it!.

I was going to change the thermostat which is a basic honeywell dial type to a Programmable Thermostat which would then control the central heating.

My question is can I bypass the dead programmer or get a cheap alternative that does the job of switching between water and heating or can I wire it so the water is always on because the thermostat would do the heating part.

Or am I missing the point, I know the programmer has link to thermostat and frost stat.

Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Why would you not want to have the system switched off for some of the time and save fuel (fuel = money).

Technically it would be simple to eliminate the programmer from the control circuit. You would then control the heating via room stat and the hot water via cylinder stat.

however such a set up would be in contravention of the building regs. which require timed control for reasons of minimising wasteful use of heating systems. And how would you get the heating to come on before you get up in the mornings? A new programmer might only be £30, and could save you that much in a year or two.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry, missed your point about replacing room stat with programmable stat (did you add that in later?). In which case my comments about lack of timing would not apply, although I think building regs. would still require timing of hot water

please note 10a

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back