Honeywell T4R thermostat and st9400c programmer - who's the boss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Mum had a new conventional central heating system fitted last year, all working superbly but I have a couple of questions.

There is one Honeywell T4R wireless thermostat, and a Honeywell st9400c programmer in the airing cupboard.

The hot water is set to 'Auto' on the programmer, and comes on at the specified times. The central heating is set to 'Once' on the programmer, and uses the scheduled times set at the thermostat (not the controller) to decide when the heating comes on. All working OK.

My questions are: if she wants to turn the central heating off for good soon (well, until autumn), should she turn the programmer central heating switch to off, and leave the thermostat on? Or turn them both off? If the programmer CH is set to off, but thermostat is still on, will it turn the boiler on anyway?

Also, what is the difference between CONT (continuous) and ONCE in this set up? I'm assuming AUTO means it would use the programmer's time schedule, not the thermostat..

Apologies for the long-winded post!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
For the CH to come on both the 9400c and the T4R have to be scheduled to be on with the T4R calling for heat, therefore turning either off should stop the boiler from firing for CH.

On the 9400c CONT means that the timer schedule is ignored completely whereas ONCE means the 1st "on" point and the last "off" point are the only events that the programmer will obey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back