Help! my heating died

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help would be great

Worcester 9/14 cbi boiler
Honeywell st699 programmer
Honeywell room stat

Straight to the point, boiler not operating when heating required, have turned boiler on/off, re-set programmer, checked fuses/connections, all good.

Programmer heating light illuminates so bypassed/bridged room stat still no go, boiler silent, no fan no pump.

Hot water is fine btw.

Possible PCB failure is my guess, I take it the PCB has seperate heating and hot water circuits?
Any suggestions welcome.

Thx
Andy.

Sponsored Links
Hi Breesey

I pushed the little leaver over to off/manual (it was half way between auto and off/manual) and the pump started, ran downstairs and boiler is still asleep.

Ive put the lever all the way back to auto, is this correct?

Hot water still working fine.

Thx
Andy

If the boiler's working for hot water there's a good chance its the valve head. What make is it?

Sponsored Links
I just did it again, pushed lever to off/manual, pump started, ran down stairs boiler fan was on, but no ignition, just the fan and pump running.

Went back upstairs and lever had moved back to half way between auto and off/manual by itself, is this ok?

Went back downstairs and boiler is again silent.

It is a Honeywell sundial y plan?

Thx
Andy

Ok, just checked and have 230v supply to wiring box, I take it you were both correct in diagnosing a duff 3 port motor then?

;)

With heating only calling for heat you should have 240v on the grey and white. When heating satisfied you should have about 100v on the orange only, assuming you had only had heating on.

Change the head mate

Ok, just checked and have 230v supply to wiring box

Do you mean the box on top of the valve or the one on the wall? You may find that you need to remove the cover of this box to do a proper check ;)

Read How a 3-port valve works

It explains what voltages you should have on which wire and when.

The easiest way to check that the motor is working is to turn the room thermostat up and down and listen to the motor whirr. Motors are standard parts and can be bought from B&Q.

If the motor is OK and you don't get the correct voltages then the actuator is faulty. Provided your valve is not too old, these are also replaceable parts (on some makes at least e.g Honeywell)

Edit: The manual position on the valve is purely for refilling the system. It must be in Auto when the system is running. The position of the lever does not indicate where the valve is.

I explained in my last post what voltages to expect at the valve and when, I did assume that Ballistix was talking about the valve head, thanks for clarifying that D Hailsham, btw do have shares in B&Q?! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back