Wallstar 12/14

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, came on here looking for help :) I have a HRM Wallstar 12/14. I am currently in the process of adding an extension and will be putting in 2 more radiators bringing the total up to 9 in the house. The boiler is tripping out the main rcd and i had a guy over to have a look. He can fix the boiler but reckons i need a new one as the wallstar wont run 9 rads. Is this true? Can anyone help, advise or suggest? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You have a 13Kw boiler.

You need to calculate the heat requirement for your house to know whether it is suitably sized, the number of radiators is pretty irrelevant. You could fit 30 rads in the same house but the boiler requirement wouldn't change.

Try filling this in for the whole finished house, which is more than he did, I'm guessing.

http://www.idhee.org.uk/calculator.html

To be honest I think adding another two rads wont make a great deal of difference, its better to run a small boiler for long periods than a big one for short bursts. Keep smaller model.

Hi and thanks for the replies. I did the calculator for the whole finished house and it recommended that I have a 14.01kw boiler. I think I am going to get a new one based on this, what is the difference, pros/cons of external vs internal?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't replace the boiler on that basis, it can be set at 14kw at the annual service.

If it is old, or in the wromg location, then go for it. But on the basis of your calcs, its perfect.

Its about 15 years old, in the house from new. To be fair i've not had it serviced for 2 years (oops). The fault that has occurred is that it keeps tripping the electrics when activated. I have an electrician mate round to check the electrics and he unplugged different bits on the boiler and said the fault was with the burner somewhere. The oil guy says the same and says its either the motor (£140) or the burner (£480). If i just replace the burner, i assume the motor is part of that and i wouldnt have to pay an extra 140?

And the location is the on the garage back wall, the extension is a bathroom and bedroom above the garage.

The oil guy says the same and says its either the motor (£140) or the burner (£480).

Can't he test to see what part is faulty? If it's tripping the RCD, 5 minutes with an insulation tester will find the faulty component.

It trips out on both so i am assuming its both?

I still think it needs testing properly, with proper electrical test equipment. Randomly guessing parts that might be faulty and replaceing them is not the way forward. Why spend £480 on a whole new burner unit if it's only a £30 solenoid coil that's faulty.

Does it trip out as soon as it tries to start, or 10 seconds later? If immediate, fault could be with the motor, but my bet would be the transformer on this boiler. If it runs and then trips after 10 secs or so, then solenoid coil is prime suspect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back