Boiler replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, the recent annual service on my 10 yr old Vaillant Thermocompact Ecomax VU 226 EH has shown up several problems, corroded condensate sump, combustion chamber wall deterioration, (meaning replacement very soon), and corrosion of the casing due to condensate draining down internally from the outlet duct.

Rather than spend £500 or so replacing parts, I would prefer to replace the boiler. Vaillant still comes out as a good buy, and efficient, but I would not buy another Vaillant given the short life of these components, also I have had several customer service problems in the past with Vaillant.

Any comments regarding longevity, serviceabilty, customer service and reliability of any makes would be welcome.

Property is detached 5 bed, with conservatory, 19 radiators of about 22 KW output total.

Sponsored Links
I have been using this site for some time but I still can't find the link to FAQ's!

Sponsored Links
I have spent the afternoon reading posts on boilers to get a feel for opinions. Most people still seem to like Vaillant, but as you can see from my OP, my boiler has not lasted well. Viessman seem to have backup problems, so I will investigate ATAG and Buderus next.

That is 9 years longer than a Potterton Envoy would have lasted, or 5 years longer than a lot of earlier Glowworm condensers.

Put in another Vaillant and keep the condense trap clean.

Buderus Bosch are good but Worcester-Bosch are trying to sideline them in the UK. Rumour has it their domestic range may be withdrawn. I think Worcester top brass are worried about losing their raision d'etre.

If you put in a 200 series Viessmann you won't need much backup. The HE is very tasty.

Put in another Vaillant and keep the condense trap clean.

The trap has always been kept clean. The corrosion of the sump was from the condensate running down the inside of the casing and onto the top of the sump where it protrudes from under the combustion chamber. I can only assume this is bad design, as the horizontal flue is correctly fitted, so why should condensate run back inside the casing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back