Boiler Replacement

M

mauver

Hello there,

This question is not very ethical but given the circumstances I have no option. The situation is this: We live in a council flat with a old Valiant combi boiler. It is is very bad condition, not having even the plates cover over it. Because it is not a condensed boiler, it is quite expensive during the winter, 5 pounds a day to run it. It also does not work properly as I have to open the sink tap in order to have a hot shower, if I don't do that, I can't mix cold and hot water on the mixer. I called the council engineers a few times, and although they think a I need a new boiler, they can't replace it unless it is beyond repair. The question is, what can I do to make this old boiler become beyond repair ?

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
ask your landlord to get the makers engineer to do a repair to your boiler as you have lost confidence with your landlords service.

but if you want the boiler exchanged as you want to pay less for your gas consumption,well good luck.

The question is, what can I do to make this old boiler become beyond repair ?

That is criminal damage my friend. Criminal damage to something that is being paid for by other people.

If you can't afford to use it, then I am sorry. Turn it off.

What you have asked advise on is a disgrace.

ask your landlord to get the makers engineer to do a repair to your boiler as you have lost confidence with your landlords service.

but if you want the boiler exchanged as you want to pay less for your gas consumption,well good luck.

Thanks for your constructive advise, Skodaman. In fact one council engineer stated he would try to make a request to replace the boiler. He told me that in his view, it was unsafe. He wrote his recommendation on the inspection paper. Two weeks later another engineer came, inspected the boiler again, and told me unless the boiler was beyond repair, it would be difficult get an approval from the Council. He said he would try to find a cover for the boiler. Some weeks later, I called him to enquiry about the cover. He said the boiler was too old and could not find spare parts for it. So the bottom line is, I have a serviced boiler that is not working properly, without the front covers.

The case is part of the safety aspect of the boiler if it doesnt have one then the boiler could give a very nasty burn if touched very strange with all the rules and regs that councils adhere to that this boiler has not had something done to it.
Personally yes i would kick up a fuss to have something done with it.

The case is part of the safety aspect of the boiler if it doesnt have one then the boiler could give a very nasty burn if touched very strange with all the rules and regs that councils adhere to that this boiler has not had something done to it.
Personally yes i would kick up a fuss to have something done with it.

Thank you gas112. The boiler is very near the kitchen sink and without the covers, very often some water splashes inside the boiler. Yes, quite hot if touch it without the cover. I will complain again. Is there an independent body that I could call and ask for a safety inspection ?

Thanks for your professionalism.

If the boiler is really in a bad state, it is the responsibility of the gas engineer to either turn it off, or disconnect from the gas supply. I'm sorry but I have never been in a local authority owned house where there have been bits missing of a boiler or exposed wires on show from a boiler. Something doesn't ring quite true. Pictures would be nice.

If the boiler is really in a bad state, it is the responsibility of the gas engineer to either turn it off, or disconnect from the gas supply. I'm sorry but I have never been in a local authority owned house where there have been bits missing of a boiler or exposed wires on show from a boiler. Something doesn't ring quite true. Pictures would be nice.

I've been to plenty where bits are missing etc.......

Only after tenants have been fiddling with things of course.
No way a council authority would put someone in a flat with the boiler casing missing in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back