Gas Safe & Replacing Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm new to this site, but impressed with the dialogue. Super.

Question: I am renovating, and am replacing my condensing boiler. I have employed a 'gas safe' plumber, who is taking care of it all. I hired him b/c I understood that he
a. follows the necessary procedures
b. if he does it, it means there are no issues with council, etc.

Does anyone know: Once he finishes the work, does he have to notify council that it's done correctly? And then, am I to do something with council? Do I have to set up an appointment for them to come and inspect, etc? I assumed not. For the record, I did not inform council that I was replacing my boiler. I hope I did not make an error here. I also moved it by 5 feet to fit better the flat layout, but plumber kept in mind the minimum distance to window for the flue, etc.

(fyi: i just bought the flat and the previous boiler was old and wanted a fresh start).

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
He can do it for you for a lot less than you can; and it takes minutes.

Legally as i understand it you are responsible for ensuring it is notified.

How this is done is down to you and him.

Make sure you tell him that you are expecting him to do the notification as part of the job!

Most conscientious ones do but a few try to avoid doing it !

Tony

Sponsored Links
He can do it for you for a lot less than you can; and it takes minutes.

Legally as i understand it you are responsible for ensuring it is notified.

How this is done is down to you and him.

He can, but I don't believe it is a requirement. But as far as I am concerned, why not? Subject to concerns of Capita utilising the Data for personal (corporate) gain

Any boiler installer providing a proper professional service will provide the notification of the installation to Building Control as part of the service.

But some don't! I rate them as unprofessional1

Its is a stipulation of being gas saferegistered that an installer notifies any flued appliance or flueless fire .
It takes 2 minutes and costs less than £3 and is even free for some makes of boiler if installer is reg with the manufacturer

Its is a stipulation of being gas saferegistered that an installer notifies any flued appliance or flueless fire .
It takes 2 minutes and costs less than £3 and is even free for some makes of boiler if installer is reg with the manufacturer

No, it isn't. They make the service available, but it is not a requirement, whereas with CORGI it was. Otherwise, I don't disagree.

Even if its not a Gas Reg requirement, its still a requirement that the installation IS notified to Building Control!

Only the original installer can do that at a low cost!

Tony

Firemant read the letter that came with your gas safe card in april and you will see that you are wrong it is clearly worded that it is a requirement you notify

Firemant read the letter that came with your gas safe card in april and you will see that you are wrong it is clearly worded that it is a requirement you notify

If I can find it, I will. Thanks.
It certainly WAS the case that it wasn't a requirement for US to register.

Think you will find when it changed from corgi to gassafe the only thing that changed was cookers/tumble dryers was only thing that was dropped it was still a requirement for others but just they never pushed it.
I put the wording of the letter in the CC back in april

For the pro's

The Building Regulations in England and Wales make it a legal requirement for the appropriate Local Authority (LA) to be informed about the installation of a heat producing gas appliance and any associated heating and hot water systems installed with the appliance. This includes boilers, water heaters, warm air heaters, gas fires and flued cookers. As a Gas Safe registered engineer you are responsible for ensuring the LA is notified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back