No new boiler Gas Safe Certificate issued

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, need some advice please.
About 3 months ago, I had a new boiler fitted, using a Gas Safe plumber, at the end he said the certificate should come within 14days. After a few weeks, no certificate arrived.

I phoned him and he said Gas Safe are being slow at the min, and it shouldn't be long. After another couple of weeks, still no certificate, so I phoned Gas Safe and they had no record of any new boiler installation at my property. They said I should contact Council Building Control, which I did, and again, they had no record of any new boiler being fitted. The Building control guy said phone the plumber and ask for an explanation.

I phoned the plumber, explained what I'd done and he hung up on me. He now won't answer any calls or messages I leave, I even tried off a friends phone, he answered then soon as I told him who I was, he hung up.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do next, according to Gas Safe and the council, its a legal requirement for them to be notified, but I carry some responsibility to notify them too as the property owner, and could this ultimately come back on me as the owner for not notifying building control?

Many thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
write to original plumber saying that unless you receive the certificates within 14 days you will instruct another Gas Safe registered fitter to rectify the installation including any additional and recommissioning work and materials required and will claim against original plumber for your full costs incurred (including any loss of income through taking days off work etc).

I'd call gas safe and ask them to inspect the install, it's free.
Give them his name and address, they'll tell you if he's registered or not, or check on their website.

Ok thanks,
Gas Safe have confirmed he is registered when I phoned them, they wouldn't tell me if he's done this before, but do they keep logs of complaints against fitters and would Gas Safe/council contact him for explanation?
And secondly, assuming thats its all being installed correctly, its been working fine since it was put in, would another fitter be happy recertify someone else's work and sign it off so I get the certificates?

Sponsored Links
Its normally considered an installer's duty to notify the installation.

However, legally its the owner's responsibility to ensure that it is notified as its his property.

Only the installer can legally notify and if the original installer does not then in theory another RGI has to "reinstall" the boiler before he can correctly notify.

But a few do notify other's installations. Some have been struck off the register for doing that!

Have you checked the installer's registration with Gas Safe on their web site?

Did he complete the Benchmark Certificate and include his G-S number?

Tony

Another fitter will not "assume" it's all installed correctly he'd want to check it has before taking responsibility for it.
Some wouldn't want to touch it and some might, that, and how deep they'd want to check into it would depend on the individual.
If the guy is registered though it's surprising he's not talking to you now. Were you abusive or aggressive to him last time you spoke.

He left the Benchmark certificate and his company number on it.
Thats the number I used, gave his name and Gas Safe said he was registered.

I definately wasn't rude to him, I kind of demanded to know know what was going on, but I wasn't shouting. He seemed aggrieved that I'd phoned the Gas Safe and Council as that's when he sort of 'huffed' and hung up.
I tried ringing and texting him probably once a day for a week after that.

Go onto the gas safe website and search the company name and number, you will see a view our engineers button, click that and you will see photos of the people registered with that company.
Just in case it's someone pretending to be someone else, wouldn't be the first time.

Does he work for a company and this is a private cash install in which case he may not be registered in his own name and not able to register appliances.

Tony - you might want to refresh yourself of the rules of registration ;).

However saying that - I have a long running saga with a client and the installation done by another company that is shocking. Gas Safe have been less than flirking useless.

Might be hard for him dan as he doesnt seem to be on the register again under his usual post code

There's plenty who are registered who aren't fit to advise you how to light a fookin boiler never mind fix one. :LOL: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back