Gas safe certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, a friend of mine had a new boiler fitted by a gas safe engineer, everything is ok left the invoice to pay direct into his account but is worried as she has no certificate that once she pays it she will not see the certificate, should he not supply this once the boiler is fitted and working ok? Your thoughts on this please, thanks for you time.

Sponsored Links
Certificate can take 4 weeks to come so no need not to pay

It is also normal practice for the installer to wait until he has been paid before he issues the Certificate.

If he issued it before getting paid there would be no incentive for the customer to pay him!

Tony

yes there would.

I pay hundreds of bills a year. In most cases I do it after I have received whatever goods or services I have paid for.

You might equally say that once he has been paid, there is no incentive for the installer to finish the job.

BTW, is a gas installer permitted to withhold the certificate as you suggest?

Sponsored Links
Its his cert he has paid for it in affect so up to him what he does with it

That's interesting. Is it true that:

"The Building Regulations for both England and Wales make it a legal requirement for the appropriate Local Authority (LA) to be informed about the installation of a heat producing gas appliance e.g. boiler or fire?"

So if an installer failed to inform the local authority, would that be an offence?

If it really concerned you I would answer but as you are not qualified and are trolling for info I wont

It is the legal responsibility of the house owner to ensure the LA is notified.

The installer being the only person involved who can issue it is expected to do that as part of the installation for which the owner has a responsibility to pay.

Just take your car for repair and try to get the keys to drive off without paying for the work!

It is the legal responsibility of the house owner to ensure the LA is notified.

I thought I heard that the responsibility changed from the householder (who is incapable of fulfilling the responsibility) to the installer (the only person who is capable of fulfilling the responsibility).

Did I imagine it?

(for some reason gas112 is under the impression that I do not have a boiler, and never will have one, therefore I have no valid interest in the question)

Do you notify you gas work johnD if not paid ?

I notify but get the certificate sent to me. Customer gets it sent to them on payment. Plus I can bin the free gs inspection bit as well;)

Ps. Never had any problem with a customer not paying upon completion as my bs sensor is as good as my tandc's

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back