Boiler replacement

Also special thanks to gas112 of course. Hope I have not missed anybody out. Such a relief to know it's a simple fix. Should I ask Baxi whether this could have had a detrimental effect on the boiler. Once again many thanks to all

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to get them to remove the vent pipe from the water, its surprising they never felt the flow & return piping if not displayed in the boiler menu.

Thanks John I have removed the pipe already. Will be talking to Baxi tomorrow to ensure the boiler has not been compromised

Doubt for such a short time it would have much effect on the new boiler, reason I asked origionally if the pump was new, I suspected it was the wrong way round, it was because the flow and returns were reversed, much more common than you think , with sealed system combis it is usually only the old TRV valves that suffer as the pump is inside the boiler, but on an open vent it is crucial that they are correctly orientated

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have labeled the original drawing from nairb999, Is my understanding correct for piping components? Sometime this month I'll have a new Heat only boiler installed (OV). Just want to make sure that I get it right; Open Vent Feed Pump, correct? And pump should be on flow pipe and after vent and feed pipes?

Attachments

• flow return.pdf
    354.8 KB · Views: 90
No, that's incorrect, from the boiler, you should have, flow (left hand) pipe, then vent then cold feed then pump, VCP. the pump then pumps (downwards) the hot water to the rads and if installed, the HW cylinder coil via, normally, zone (motorized) valves, the water then returns to the boiler return to be reheated.

Last edited:
Ian got me thinking. Yes pump is definitely pumping right direction

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 40
I have labeled the original drawing from nairb999, Is my understanding correct for piping components? Sometime this month I'll have a new Heat only boiler installed (OV). Just want to make sure that I get it right; Open Vent Feed Pump, correct? And pump should be on flow pipe and after vent and feed pipes?
I think you've labelled it wrong. The vent is usually 22mm, the cold feed 15mm, which gives boiler - vent - cold feed - pump, correct.
But unless there's no alternative, better for the pump to pump upwards, and for the cold feed to be up and under, into the bottom of the pipe, to minimise convection warming the F/E tank, encouraging algae growth.

On reflection I think they have installed correctly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 48
This shows the original piping to Potterton Prima boiler flow left and return right. Plumber has crossed them over to connect Baxi boiler.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 55
On reflection I think they have installed correctly
Nope the pipes would have to be crossed, better if you mark each pipe Blue and red then follow where they go after they enter the ceiling, then mark them all the way to the cold feed vent and pump, they should all be on the red pipe

Thanks for your assistance. I am getting the gas safe installer to check out the installation

Why don't you just fire up the boiler and feel the flow&return piping??. does the boiler menu display anything as well?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back