Boiler Service Q

Regardless on what he opened, he was still breaking the law servicing a boiler if not Gas Safe registered.

Ask the company for hi s name and gas safe registration number ( and don't pay them until you get it ).

Currently we don't know if he is registered or not.

Tony

Sponsored Links
As he didn't service it I can't see that he has technically broken the law!

I've got his name now so will check the register

Sponsored Links
As he didn't service it I can't see that he has technically broken the law!

He came to service the boiler.

Regardless of what he actually did he was there to service it. BG service thousands of boilers a day without opening them. If pressed they will say it was a safety check.

To be there to service it he needs to be Gas Safe.

Telephone Gas Safe on Monday and be prepared to make a complaint that he was not registered.

Tony

Even we take the cases off and look inside (or at least that's what our official procedure is).

Irrespective of whether he opened it up, surely he should have Combustion analysis ticket.

I do have a receipt print out. But that is the only evidence I have of a service.

Is this enough ?

That looks fine for a non condensing boiler as your will be.

The photo posted earlier is of a condensing premix boiler.

He obviously only did a flue gas analysis. BG usually do that and call it a Safety check. If its within the expected parameters they don't usually bother to open the case.

Tony

It sounds to me as though some of you think this is usual and acceptable.
If so what should I be paying him for a safety check ?

Price is irrelevant. It's the job description that's false. Anyone who sells a service should not perform a safety check instead.

A boiler heats water that is shoved along by the pump.

Combustion process may well be fine but other essential components may not be up to scratch and may not show up below par on combustion analysis. look t the manual under SERVICE and see what the requirement is

Heard of someone local who carried out FGA (must have been on Red Bull to get the wings) three floors up on a flue that does not have any test points, nor can it be reached without risking life and limb hanging out the window, to then proceed to fail the appliance. At least you have printout- guy in question did not even supply that.

The Gas Safe inspector is reported to have taken dim view of lack of documentation and suggestion that a new boiler might be the answer when the manufacturers were not consulted as the appliance when made, did not have provision to be FGAed.:)

PS. Should flue temperature be zero? Why is inlet temperature 138. Perhaps these readings are not making sense to me as they are different to what my FGA produces :confused:

PS. Should flue temperature be zero? Why is inlet temperature 138. Perhaps these readings are not making sense to me as they are different to what my FGA produces :confused:

I was pondering this myself.

But compared to the rest of the op's description of events, the fga print out is the least of the issues.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back