Boiler servicing (+/- power flush) ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a 10 year old Potterton Suprima 50L which, apart from replaced noisy fan & PCB replacement, has worked OK.

I've never had it serviced.

Should I get this done ? Does it normally include adding anti-corrosion / anti noise agents to system ?

It has also never been power flushed - should I consider that as well ?

Thanks

PS I'm in Leicester area so any recommendations would be good !

Sponsored Links
Yeah, servicing is probably worthwile.

I'm unconvinced that boilers need annual servicing (AFAICS it involves checking that the boiler is working ok, flame burning cleanly etc. and giving it a clean).

But occasionally (every 4-5 years?)it's worth wile. We have an Ideal Mexico, which is a nice simple open flued floor standing boiler. The pilot stop lighting recently, which was just down it seems seems to some crud in the pilot jet. It's been a few years (8? :oops: ) since it's had any attention and there was quite a bit a bit of crud (motlty rust? from the CI heat exchanger I guess over the burners)

A service would have probably avoided that

If the inhbitor protection has been kept up there should be limited crud in the system and hence no need for powerflushing . As Dan says, If you have problems then I'd worry about that

You might get away with intermittent servicing on some older boilers. But an annual check up on more modern boilers is vital. There are all sorts of things that are checked by an engineer ( sometimes without even being conscious of it) that can be preventative medicine.

Sponsored Links
And annual check even it is only 10 minutes to look under the hood and check seals and it is burning correctly is adviseable.
I went to vaillant recently that for whatever reason the burner seal had failed
and it wasn't fully tight. It was busy melting it's way through
the condensate collector causing high carbon monoxide.
The only thing preventing this entering the house was the case seal that would have soon begun to fail with the heat. After that it would probably completely destroy itself.

Powerflush waste of time unless you have a badly clogged up system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back