Boiler size - conflicting engineer advice

Sponsored Links
Crikey......if someone ever said "it's not rocket science" when referring to heating technology they obviously never read this thread!!!
I have scrabbled through the wreckage on my hands and knees and I think I've salvaged that a Baxi DT is perhaps not the best out there but not bad at that price point and that a 33kw will adequately meet my needs.

Forgive me for asking but really given the performance bands of these combis is it really such an exact science? It seems they jump up in round about 5kw bands so does a variance of +\- 5kw make that much difference and if you buy one 5kw out does it make such a difference

The hot water output is totally predictable.

Just scale up from 9 li/min for a 24 kW.

Different people will have their own views on what is suitable.

Dan above likes 20 li/min but I can shower adequately on 9 li/min.

But he is about 120 kg and I am 84 kG ( should be 75 kG ) if that makes any difference.

Some still prefer baths! The power of the boiler will determine how fast a bath will fill. But some people/baths can manage on 40 li but others like more.

Tony

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Crikey......if someone ever said "it's not rocket science" when referring to heating technology they obviously never read this thread!!!
I have scrabbled through the wreckage on my hands and knees and I think I've salvaged that a Baxi DT is perhaps not the best out there but not bad at that price point and that a 33kw will adequately meet my needs.

Forgive me for asking but really given the performance bands of these combis is it really such an exact science? It seems they jump up in round about 5kw bands so does a variance of +\- 5kw make that much difference and if you buy one 5kw out does it make such a difference

I really like the Duo-Tec's - bullet proof - imho you have to look at the bigger picture rather than 1 or 2 percentage points on lab tested efficiencies. Condensing boilers come with their own problems and I think I would rather go with a boiler that would go the distance.

Look at Johnson and Starley
No unecesary bells and whistles
the bigger picture rather than 1 or 2 percentage points on lab tested efficiencies
It depends on whose lab is doing the tests. The manufacturer's lab will have different results to tests carried out by independent testers in real world installations.

The two boilers whose efficiencies I quoted were a Johnson and Starley Reno heat only compared to an Intergas boiler. You can decide which is which.

Some boilers use stainless steel tubes, water inside the tube, flame directly onto the outside, very little metal to heat up before heat reaches the water. Other boilers use a mass of metal with water ways ( often copper tubes ) embedded in that mass. Quite a lot of metal to heat up before any heat reaches the water in the tubes. When the boiler is turned off some ( or all ) of the heat in the mass of metal is wasted as it will cool down before the next time the boiler is fired up.

Bernard, a boiler needs to do the basic job of prividing heat and hot water. Every boiler on the market does that. How it does that is of no importance to an installer as he or she is not interested in inner working

To a repairer doing an instal, become very important as he/ she will likely be returning to service and maintain the boiler.

I have installed an Ideal Vogue for my boy to run central heating rads, underfloor heating and he will be looking for an unvented cylinder in the near future. Ideal Vogue will give me dual temperatures. I have not looked at the J&S spec- does your boiler cater for dual outputs.

Vogue will basically tell you what sills it, even does a graph of various functions, is one of the easiest boilers to work on. Have to admit have not looked at your make. Ideal technical team very good- if busy will call make as soon as possible.

No, I do not work for Ideal, just praising a good product

I have not looked at the J&S spec- does your boiler cater for dual outputs.

To be honest I don't know. At present the system is still "under development" and I manually control the flow temperature ( front panel user accesible control ) for either hot water cylinder heating ( high temperature ) or room heating ( low temperature ).

The plan was to live in the cottage for a few years of manual control and collate data on the amount of heating required before finalising on radiator sizing and the control algorythm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back