Boiler specs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there folks, needing some clarification with regards to a boiler choice I have at the moment.......

I have recently ordered a new kitchen under the impression that I would be able to fit a boiler in an empty cupboard caracas, just your everyday 600 base unit. I have since had gas installed in the property & am now at the point where I am installing a boiler & wet system. The guy that's going to be doing the install for me has told me that I will not be able to fit the boiler in a position where a base unit will cover it as it needs to be floor standing. A wall mounted is not suitable as there is not enough space for servicing in the future etc.

Does anybody know of a floor mounted boiler tat will fit inside a 600 base unit or can anybody confirm if is in fact possible to use a wall mounted boiler for this application???????????

Apologies about the long question but your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers, Scott

Sponsored Links
Confused me :LOL:

Are you saying the boiler is fitted to the wall and can you fit a unit around it (ie using the 600 base unit but fitted to the wall)

or

are you trying to fit a wall mounted boiler into a 600 base unit at floor level?

A wall mounted boiler requires sufficient space underneath for servicing and few if any will fit under a worktop.

There are some floor standing boilers (Worcester) but you need to specify yoour requirements ie combi, heat only, system boiler etc.

Floor mounting also throws up other problems such as fluing and condensate discharge (unless its at 1st floor level).

Hi there,

Sorry about the lack of info. What I'm looking for is a combi boiler that will be able to fit inside a 600 base unit basicly.

The boiler will be going into a first floor flat so condensate will just be going into the waste I believe & the fluing shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know any off hand that would be sensible fit - plenty of installers will shoe horn a boiler in their since they don't care about future maintenance (they won't be doing it).

Just be very careful fitting a combi below worktops - even manufacturers servicing clearances can be wrong so repairs could be imposible stuck in the back of a base unit.

Why can't the boiler go on the wall?

Sponsored Links
The only one that springs to mind is the Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440.

This is a floor standing combi and is about the size of a washing machine so therefore should fit in a 600 base unit space, not necessarily the unit its self.

Although I hate them, you may be able to fit a Glow Worm Flexicom 30 in with the rear flue option.

You will need 150mm clearance at the bottom and 20mm at the top. This added to the boiler height of 700 should JUST squeeze in under a standard worktop height of 870MM:cool:

Follow this link http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/pdf/current/Flexicom_cx_Installer_Manual.pdf

Excelent stuff guys, thanks for that.

Why is it you hate the Gloworm, are they prone to problems?

In my experience they are cheaply made and unreliable. The 2 year warranty is not a full warranty, 2nd year is parts only and they won't come out without a £125 payment by card is made at time of call.

Others on here like them, but I just don't trust them (the boilers :LOL: ). Usually awkward to work on as well I've found, but in this case you may have no choice.

It is relly down to the installer to fit and commission and flush the system properly. If they don't then even the best boilers will fail prematurely.

No probs, although they do apear to be a wall mount boiler you think that it would be alright in a base unit, is that correct?

As long as you stick to all the MI's about clearances and installation it shouldn't matter where it goes.

Saying that I have found that ANY boiler is awkward to get at when down to the minimum clearances.

Me fit a Glow Worm :eek: :LOL:

You have many a good heating engineer up your way, some post on here I think, can't remember who they are though :oops:

gas4you said:
As long as you stick to all the MI's about clearances and installation it shouldn't matter where it goes.

Manufacturers clearances are often wrong. Untill you have the boiler in front of you and can visualise pulling it apart don't trust the spec.

For instance the Buderus 500 says only 8mm is required on the left hand side for servicing, unfortunately they forgot to mention you actually need approximately 100mm to replace the flow thermistor :)

Glowworm continue to market some of there boilers as being able to fit within kitchen cupboards...they will if you don't have the cupboard door and hinges fitted ;)

Glowworms on the whole are poorly designed with rubbish backup. The Swiftflow was the last decent Glowworm combi and that must be 12 years ago at least.

An example of the manufacturer's not giving the full access requirements is aptly demonstrated by the G-W 30 CXI who say 20 mm on the left whereas it really needs 250 mm to enable the plate HE to be removed for cleaning.

The same may apply to the Flexiflue although I have not seen one installed yet.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back